Work with our team of Chefs creating world class dining experiences for our guests. Your leadership, creativity and culinary skills as a Baker will guide the preparation of our Bakery's wide assortment of delicious in-house made baked goods for the enjoyment of our guest.Hotel Overview: Nestled at the base of Blackcomb Mountain, The Fairmont Chateau Whistler resort defines mountain luxury in the heart of Whistler, British Columbia - Host Mountain Resort of the 2010 Winter Olympics. Located in the spectacular Coastal Mountain Range, Whistler is Canada's premier, year-round outdoor adventure destination - just two hours north of downtown Vancouver. Offering ski-in, ski-out convenience and on-site championship golf course, The Fairmont Chateau Whistler is Whistler's largest conference resort hotel with 539 guestrooms and suites, exceptional dining in five unique outlets and full resort amenities including a slopeside Health Club. Since opening its doors in 1989, this landmark destination has welcomed guests and colleagues to an unforgettable mountain adventure – start yours today!
Summary of Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Executive Pastry Chef, responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Prepare daily production of fresh artisan breads, rolls, muffins and all other bakeshop items according to the standard recipes
- Ability to weigh, cut, roll, and shape doughs by hand
- Responsible for the Sourdough starters
- Inspect product for quality and consistency during and after baking
- Maintains consistency for all items leaving the Bake Shop
- Should have good knowledge of producing dough, croissants, doughnuts and Danishes.
- Must be adept at using Deck ovens with steam function, timers, proofer-retarder.
- Should be comfortable to work in a live kitchen, in full view of the guests.
- Maintain fresh ingredients with proper rotation
- Review production schedules to determine variety and quantity of baked goods to be bake
- Actively share ideas, opinions and suggestions in daily shift briefing
- Uphold all sanitation and hygiene standards; be clean and presentable at all times
- Promote and maintain a cohesive teamwork environment which promotes development
- Understands and maintains Health and Safety Policies in a safe and injury free workplace by following Occupational Health & Safety standards, Safe Work Practices, complying to all sanitation and Equipment Safety Checklist for operation and maintenance, WHMIS
- Work within the Hotel budget guidelines for the kitchen and Bake shop, to take responsibility for minimizing; labour costs, food costs, wastage, unnecessary expenses, etc.
- Understands and complies with employment harassment policies
- Able to push and pull heavy carts, lift boxes, reach for boxes, stand on feet for duration of their shift
- Ability to work overnights, early mornings or other as required.
Preferred Knowledge & Experience:
- Journeymen's Baker papers are preferred
- Previous experience working in a fast paced, large kitchen environment
- Proven organizational skills
- BC Food Safe Certification
- Demonstrates a genuine passion for guest interaction and turning moments into memories
- Proficient in artisan breads, quick breads and laminated products
- Ability to demonstrate innovative and artistic techniques to keep in line with current as well as future culinary and baking trends
- Flexible to the demands of the business
- Excellent communication skills are required
- Previous experience working in a quality bakery is required
- BC Safe Food Handling Certification
- Red Seal Journeyman Baker Certificate preferred
- Experience in Luxury Hotel Kitchens
- 2-4 years' experience a Baker (salary commensurate with experience)
Physical Aspects of Position (include but are not limited to):
- Constant standing and walking throughout shift
- Lifting –up to 50lbs-25% of work time
- Lifting-Under 20lbs 100% of Work Time
- Carrying- Over 20lbs 100% of Work Time
- Pulling- Over 20lbs 100% of Work Time
- Describe Motions- Bending, standing, reaching, cutting, lifting, pushing, repetitive physical movements, dexterity and full range of motion of hands to whisk, scoop, cut scale, shape and move product as needed.
- Work Environment-Exposure to kitchen equipment – large and small ovens, stoves, steam kettles, mixers, sheeter, fryers, rational ovens, Steamers, tilt skillets, fridges and freezers as well as blast freezers
Visa Requirements: Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. The hotel is unable to assist candidates in obtaining Canadian work authorization.
APPLY TODAY: Whether you're launching your career or seeking meaningful employment, we invite you to visit http://www.fairmontcareers.com/ to learn more about Fairmont Hotels & Resorts—and the extraordinary opportunities that exist!
ABOUT FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS
At Fairmont Hotels & Resorts we offer our guests the finest hospitality experience in each of our destinations. And we know that, to offer our guests the best, we first need to offer our employees the best. That's why you'll find exceptional work opportunities—throughout North America and the Caribbean, Europe and Africa, the Middle East and Asia Pacific—as well as industry-leading training, career development, recognition and rewards. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a celebrated collection of hotels that includes landmark locations like London's The Savoy, New York's The Plaza, and Shanghai's Fairmont Peace Hotel. Our teams are guided by values of Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Empowerment; we employ the highest ethical and quality standards, treating all colleagues with fairness and dignity. A community and environmental leader, Fairmont is also regarded for its responsible tourism practices and award-winning Green Partnership program. An exciting future awaits!
Apply on company website