Avita Health System currently operates three major healthcare facilities and 31 clinic locations throughout North Central Ohio. Within the last three years, the system has tripled in size branching out into ten communities throughout the region. There are over 1,800 employees and 110 employed member multispecialty group of physicians and advanced practitioners that provide these communities with optimal, high-quality healthcare. In 2015, Avita has received a national award, placing them in the top 10 percent nationally in customer service.
Avita Health System continues to grow, and with our expansion we have various open positions in our Bucyrus, Galion and Ontario locations.
We are currently accepting resumes & applications for the following position, located at our Ontario, Ohio location:
Certified pharmacy technicians (CPhT) assist pharmacists in preparing and distributing medications, maintaining the medication inventory, and maintaining patient records. They assist the pharmacist by filling provider orders for medications including oral, rectal, topical and injectable formulations. CPhTs prepare non-sterile products as well as chemotherapy products and other hazardous medications using strict adherence to proper aseptic technique and established standards. CPhTs also play an integral role in the Meds to Beds program, which is a vital function of the Outpatient pharmacy. CPhTs function under the direct supervision of a pharmacist.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Prepares medication orders according to established policies, procedures, and protocols under the direct supervision of a pharmacist
- Enters medication orders/prescriptions accurately per pharmacy setting
- Prepares medication orders and stat orders
- Demonstrates ability to calculate figures and amounts relating to dosage calculations when filling various prescriptions ranging from the newborn to the elderly populations.
- Assists the pharmacists in providing pharmaceutical care for patients ranging in age from newborn to the elderly. Must be able to identify and understand that there are dosage variations between newborn, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients and know to consult with the pharmacist if any doubts or questions arise.
- Recognizes inappropriate dosing based in available dosage forms for various age groups.
- Generates appropriate reports as needed
- Maintains patient and pharmacy records accurately and completely
Ensures safe, appropriate, cost-effective medication therapies for patients according to established policies, procedures, and protocols
- Maintains appropriate par levels for inventory
- Inspects medications monthly, ensuring removal of expired and unusable medications and reconciliation of inventories
- Maintains outdated medication tracking function, ensuring appropriate expiration dates are entered, stock is rotated, and expired items removed
- Helps to identify high cost medications and work with pharmacist and patient to find coupons or cheaper alternatives
- Identifies excessive inventory and takes appropriate action to return medication to the appropriate vendor
Contributes to the quality and effective operation of the department
- Offer and enroll patients in our Meds to Beds Program
- Keeps pharmacy areas and equipment clean, neat, and well-organized; Ensures the maintenance and proper operation of equipment and supplies in the work areas
- Fosters a team environment by assisting in orientation and training of new team members; assists co-workers in tasks as time permits
- Complies with federal, state, and local regulations and accreditation standards relating to medication-use safety
- Complies with all applicable health-system policies and procedures
- Demonstrates ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the Avita Health System staff
- Participates in departmental and organizational performance improvement and CQI activities
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors
- Ensures adequate control and documentation of controlled substances
Maintains competence required for current job title/position
- Maintains security and confidentiality of passwords
- Attends pharmacy staff meetings
- Attends orientation, education, and training programs provided for the pharmacy staff
- Attends annually required in-services
- Completes all competence/skills assessment requirements
Performs other duties as assigned
- Maintains efficient filing system
- Processes incoming mail
- Files papers, records, and reports
- Aids in the training of Pharmacy Technician students or new employees.
- Performs other pharmacy-related duties as requested or required.
Medication Procurement, storage, and distribution
- Adheres to federal and state laws, regulations, and guidelines relating to the procurement, storage, distribution and control of all medications or medication related products. This may include but is not limited to the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy, Drug Enforcement Agency, Det Norske Veritas (DNV) Healthcare, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid and various accreditation programs.
- Participates in inventory control activities (e.g., monitoring stock levels, restocking medications, performing physical inventories, rotating stock, and ensuring adequate in date stock)
- Places orders for pharmaceuticals and supplies from appropriate sources within guidelines
- Checks in orders received from vendors (unpacks, stickers, and places orders received in appropriate locations)
- Ensures integrity of medications by storing them under proper conditions (i.e. refrigeration, light restriction, etc.) and secuirty
- Maintains borrow/lend records by charging departments for medications and supplies issued from the pharmacy
- Identifies and retrieves recalled drugs and corresponds with purchasing agent on sequestering and returning of medications.
- Deliver medications to pyxis units for Meds to Beds patients
- Free of felony convictions.
- Current Registration as a Certified Pharmacy Technician in good standing in the State of Ohio
- Current pharmacy technician certification (CPhT) through an approved pharmacy technician certification body (i.e. PTCB, ExCPT)
- Completion of an employer-based pharmacy technician training program that is of appropriate breadth and depth to clearly address the competencies for a technician to safely and effectively work in their current setting within the first 90 days of employment.
- High school diploma, GED or foreign school diploma equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma.
- One-year related pharmacy experience and/or training or graduate of certified training program/healthcare Career College.
Avita Health System is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Shift Varies between Hours of Operation
Avita Ontario Outpatient Pharmacy Hours:
Monday to Friday: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Full-Time: 72 Hours Bi-Weekly
Apply on company website