BAE Systems in San Diego, CA, is seeking a CDL/Class A Truck Driver, Tractor Trailer for material movement. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to Transport, deliver and pickup goods or equipment by light, electric, or manual transmission, medium and/or heavy company truck/tractor trailers. Drive short bus routes safely at the beginning and end of shift on short, scheduled routes. Follow commercial driving regulations, including maintenance of required documentation such as Truck and Driver logs. Perform daily truck inspections prior to operating any vehicles. Ensure the safety of all loads by following regulations for strapping and securing, such as the FMCSA guidance. Ensure that 49 CFR regulations for placarding hazardous loads are followed. Offload and load material on trucks for local and commercial delivery by hand or with Material Handling Equipment (i.e. Pallet Jacks, Forklifts etc.) ensuring that the material loaded is correct by verifying the shipping documents. Review and utilize shipping documents such as Commercial Bills of Lading to ensure that outbound shipments are properly executed. Review and provide recommendations for changes to local operating procedures and occasionally participate in reviews of SSP Logistics Documentation. Other duties as assigned by the Crane, Transportation, and Rigging Craft.
- Ability to read and understand maps and travel directions.
- Shall possess the knowledge, skill, and ability required to perform the tasks as specified within each awarded task order.
- Locate, secure, and move stock or products to pallets or crates for storage or shipment. Identify damages and report shortages or quality deficiencies.
- Ensure all materials are safely, efficiently, securely loaded, transported, and unloaded.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on specific tasks.
- Ability to read, write legibly, and speak, in English, to understand passengers, give directions, properly execute safety protocol, interact with first-responders, and to write accident, incidents and safety, or other, reports.
- Ability to operate two-way radios.
- Ensure no load capacities of material handling equipment are exceeded.
- Must comply with safety/OSHA rules and requirements.
- Must comply with company instructions, and guidelines.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Possess a valid class A CDL
- 2 Years of Warehousing or Large Scale Shipping/Receiving Operations
- 2 Years of Hazardous Material Endorsement on CDL
- 2 Years of Flat Bed hauling
- Current or Prior Material Handling Equipment License
- Able to obtain a CDL Hazmat endorsement.
- Availability, and flexibility, to be reassigned, or to fill-in for absent drivers, with minimum, or same-day, notification.
- Possess a Current DOT Physical Card.
- Possess a clean driving record.
- Must possess or be eligible to get a DBID (Defense Biometric Identification).
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
High school or GED.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it's what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you'll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website