BAE Systems is experiencing continued growth in our EO/IR product area and we are seeking an experienced, highly motivated Hardware Engineering Section Manager to lead a department of approximately 15 Optical/Mechanical/Electrical engineers. At BAE Systems we design, develop, and manufacture highly sophisticated sensors and subsystems that service a variety of product areas for government and commercial customers. Our diverse products leverage Electro-Optics, Countermeasures, and precision guidance technologies. The qualified applicant will take on a leadership role with technical responsibilities associated with the development, production, and sustainment of military products in our EO/IR Hardware Design and Development group in Greenlawn, NY.
The individual selected for this position will be an experienced technical leader who possesses proven engineering experience with complex integrated EO/IR hardware and related test equipment. This position will serve as a first-line hardware discipline manager for a diverse technical team composed of Optical, Mechanical and Electrical engineers. In this role, the individual will:
FUNCTIONS / DUTIES / SUPERVISION:
- Lead and inspire hardware-engineering team in executing responsibilities.
- Perform as Independent Assessor during EO/IR Design Reviews, Peer Reviews and Failure Review Board meetings.
- Actively engage with team under his/her purview to ensure successful project execution and delivery of quality work products that meet the expectations of the programs
- Support staff generation/tailoring of Hardware Development Plans (HDP) and ensures adherence to appropriate processes and best practices
- Manage staff workload and fulfill staffing requirements to support program and initiative needs
- Acquire and grow hardware-engineering staff with the skills and capabilities to meet the demands of projects through hiring, staff development/training, mentoring, and personal growth opportunities.
- Support projects throughout the product life cycle, including bid and proposal, design and development, production, and sustainment
- Inspire an engineering culture of Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Test (DFT), Design To Unit Production Cost (DTUPC) focused on designing out defects prior to production.
- Partner and collaborate with Program Office, Engineering Leadership and Operations on program execution strategies as well as business strategies.
- Participate in planning and coordination efforts associated with department expenses, capital, training, and recruiting
- Self-Starter who will Lead staff with a people first mentality through open communication and flow down, career development and training, constructive employee feedback, and safe and inclusive environment
• Responsible for personnel management (PDR Assessments, Promotion Planning, knowledge transfer, HR issues, etc.).
• Responsible for Career Development Plans of your employees, and providing the tools required for them to perform their tasks.
• Responsibilities for the work product of those under your purview, assuring they are applying sound hardware development processes.
Typical Education & Experience
Required Skills and Education
· Required Education: Bachelor's degree in Engineering with 10+ years of applicable experience OR a Master's Degree and 8+ years of applicable experience
· Proven technical leadership, effective team player, and solid individual contributor with sound technical fundamentals
· Proven team leader with strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Ability to establish strong working relationships across company's technical and non-technical functions
· Motivated self-starter and creative problem solver with proven experience executing in diverse multi-disciplinary teams
· Experience in DFM, DFT, and DTUPC applied design principles and Zero Defect design philosophy and practice
· Active DOD Security Clearance
Preferred Skills and Education
- Master's Degree in Engineering discipline
- Experience and leadership in engineering development and sustainment support of DoD military electronics/avionics equipment
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Apply on company website