Within this role, you will perform production-related activities as outlined in work instructions and verbal directions you will have Various applications and operations required include trimming, folding, burning and/or adhering substances to material surfaces. May use composites / metals / plastics / tape / labels / hand tools and different types of fabric and materials.
Wet Layup: Prepares molds for layup. Weighs and mixes resins, catalysts and adhesives. Distributes resin according to Shop Work Instructions and/or Routings. Maintains proper ply orientation/counts and insures proper part conformity such as no bridging and voids. Prepares vacuum bags per general bagging procedures.
Essential Functions Wet Layup:
- Prepreg Layup: Some prepreg work may be required, using molds and tools as required.
- Oven Operation: Sets up correct computer program, oven controller and temperature recorder. Sets up tools/parts with thermocouples and vacuum lines.
- Documents cure data, stores computer data and print outs.
- Travelers/Routings: Follows and uses part travelers (work orders) routings and SWI's. Properly document all information as required.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean, safe work environment and ensuring the proper care of tooling and equipment.
- Moves or assists in moving materials, parts, tools and equipment as required.
- Responsible for ensuring fabricated parts are within quality standards and tolerance requirements before and after layup process. Designated time standards must be met.
- Performs other duties, consistent with the position, as required or assigned
Typical Education & Experience
Required Skills and Education
- Proficient skill using various hand tools and electric or pneumatic powered tools.
- Ability to use basic math skills for calculation resin mix formula.
- Ability to read and understand work documents and to communicate information clearly to coworkers and supervisor and to accurately provide the information requested on specific forms, reports and logs.
Preferred Skills and Education
- Experience in a composites manufacturing environment.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website