BAE Systems, one of the world's leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, is hiring a Mechanical Engineer to provide Production Support for our growing manufacturing site in Aiken, SC. In this role, you will serve as an interface between design and production engineering for analyzing and solving problems related to the design and fabrication of mechanical subsystems, assemblies, and components prior to the parts being shipped for assembly. You will have an opportunity to work on two major combat vehicle programs to support design related change notices and variance activities. This position is part of our Engineering Support for Items in Production (ESIP) team. While we prefer a degreed engineer, we are open to someone with relevant experience in lieu of engineering or technical degree. Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze and interpret design specifications, drawings, documentation, models, and/or test results to ensure technical designs comply with applicable engineering standards, military specifications, and product requirements.
- Work with production support to create Problem Reports detailing engineering related issues with items in production, liaising with Integrated Program Team (IPT) to develop a solution.
- Maintain the Variance control process for production related variations from the technical data package (TDP). This includes obtaining Internal and Customer approval for subject Variances.
- Develop timely, complex and non-complex solutions to problems and coordinate effective “fixes” through Variances, standard and non-standard repairs and configuration notes.
- Assist in assigned special projects and/or process improvement teams to improve work effectiveness and relationships between Design and Production (e.g., improve Configuration Management of TDP and Re-man Drawings, develop and implement design change work flow processes within configuration management and engineering data management systems).
- Use advanced modeling and analysis tools to develop product specifications, models, technical data packages, and integration and verification procedures.
- Recommend design enhancements for the system, subsystem or component design to the design engineering group.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 2 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Entry level knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of a relevant technical field of specialization.
- Experienced using 3D CAD Software such as PTC Creo (Pro/Engineer, ProductView).
- Strong organizational skills and proven ability to coordinate multiple priorities to achieve a deliverable deadline.
- Familiarity with current computer applications and technologies in applicable engineering disciplines.
- Ability to create/maintain large Excel spreadsheets.
- Ability to solve basic technical design and development problems.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with customers to solve technical problems.
- Demonstrated self-starter, who requires minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Preferred Skills and Education
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering or related degree from an accredited college or university.
- Experience supporting engineering in a prototype or production environment where weldments, fabrication of machined parts, and assembly and integration of subsystems on vehicles is performed.
- Experience working with military ground vehicles.
- Familiarity with relevant military and commercial design standards.
- Knowledgeable of the Manufacturing and Configuration Management System.
- Familiarity with CREO.
- Familiarity with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing ASME Y14.5-2009.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website