The preferred site for this position is Sterling Heights, MI or York, PA, however any Combat Vehicles site including San Jose, CA will be considered.
Background: The M88 Hercules Recovery Vehicle Program is improving the tracked suspension system to increase vehicle load carrying capacity. This will require evaluating improvement to track and suspension components and will entail developing improvement alternatives, performing design integration, developing preliminary design documentation, supporting prototype manufacturing, supporting lab or vehicle testing, and finally delivery of production design documentation.
Job Description: Based upon program objectives, the Principal Mechanical Engineer - Track Suspension Systems will plan and lead the work of track and suspension engineers and subcontract suppliers who, together with supporting engineering staffs, will form the Track and Suspension Integrated Product Team (IPT). The Principal Mechanical Engineer will work closely with program leadership, subcontracts staff, component vendor design and contract staffs, test leads, systems engineering and integration staff, and logistics, safety and human factors engineers to ensure a concurrent engineered product that meets program requirements.
The Principal Mechanical Engineer will develop Tracked Suspension system architectures and lead the design/development of hardware for items that may include roadarms or hydro-pneumatic suspension units (HSUs), damping, ride height control, lock-out subsystems, drive sprockets, track components, and other running gear, as well as all terrain mobility performance and ride quality evaluation. The Principal Mechanical Engineer - Track Suspension Systems will perform or lead system level analyses and trade-off studies in compliance with government performance, survivability, reliability, availability, maintainability criteria for military tracked vehicles.
• Prepare IPT objectives and approaches to meet program objectives
• Lead the Track and Suspension IPT in design studies, performance analysis, concept selection, detail design, manufacturing, test processes, and product validation
• Provide technical direction to CAD designers for system layout and packaging decisions, to structural and mobility analysts and peer/junior engineers
• Prepare / evaluate / approve component and subsystem technical specifications and documents required for sourcing
• Define component and vehicle system interfaces, confirm compatibility with other interfacing systems, and resolve interface issues
• Interface with other functions such as systems engineers, electrical engineers, supply chain, suppliers, and customers to meet program goals
• Participate and support resolution of product quality issues
• Lead and support technical design and process reviews
• Manage product changes as required
• Maintain bill of materials (BOMs) to support vehicle builds including production vehicle launch
• Contribute to and support development of proposals with basis of cost estimates and descriptive technical content
• Plan detailed design development activities, costs and schedules
Technical: The Principal Mechanical Engineer - Track Suspension Systems should have a working knowledge of the following:
- Military track and tracked vehicle suspensions but experience with agricultural or industrial tracked vehicles may be acceptable
- PTC Creo modeling skills to develop, design, integrate, evaluate alternatives, assist component selections, and document designs of track suspension components
- Capability to provide input, support and leadership to simulations and analysis experts.
- Capability to assist component and system performance predictions including failure modes.
- Capability to provide input and guidance to designers / drafters so they can successfully create drawings and design documentation
- Capability to evaluate vendor samples and assist procurement, including guiding vendor design and component delivery progress
- Capability to support company as well as government-sponsored laboratory and vehicle tests, including developing test plans and reports
- Capability to conduct failure analysis / root cause analysis
- Basic automotive systems.
Management - The Principal Mechanical Engineer will need a working knowledge of the following:
- Product design and evaluation process
- Design team management (design and test planning, scheduling, budgeting, and progress monitoring and reporting)
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely related degree plus 6 years of relevant automotive drivetrain and suspension development work experience.
- Extensive previous design, design release, integration, packaging, development, and validation experience with automotive drivetrain and suspension systems
- Extensive experience developing / analyzing loads and duty cycles for drivetrains and suspension systems
- Experience using PTC CREO, or similar 3D modeling program, to complete design development
- Excellent oral and written communication, organizational, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Previous experience planning work and developing cost estimates, schedules and proposals
- Previous experience leading junior engineers and designers and coordinating performance within cross-functional teams
- Initiative and a positive attitude
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple tasks
- Excellent presentation skills
Preferred Skills and Education
• Design experience on tracked military vehicle drivetrain, track and suspension systems
• Design experience on the M88 Recovery Vehicle drivetrain, track and suspension
• Design experience on hydro-pneumatic suspension roadarm systems
• Knowledge of military standards and specifications
• Familiarity with military vehicles and development processes
• Experience in reviewing and releasing drawings for production
• Previous experience as a mobility subsystem, design development, or group leader
• Previous experience as a budget and schedule work package manager
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Apply on company website