BAE Systems in San Diego, CA (Shipyard) is seeking Riggers that will be responsible for lifting, moving and positioning machinery, equipment, structural parts, and other heavy loads aboard ship and in the shops.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Shipboard rigging to include removal of the machinery and equipment on and off the ship and through narrow openings utilizing jacks, chain falls, come-a-longs and rollers.
- Shipboard machinery and equipment to include but not limited to: pumps, valves, motors, electronic equipment, shafting, etc...
- Rigging gear based on weight and distribution of load, availability of hoisting machinery, and the presence of obstacles which might interfere with maneuverability of incorrectly rigged hoisting gear.
- Signal workers operating cranes or other equipment to move load.
- Individuals will also be required to inspect rigging gear in accordance with safety rules and OSHA standards.
- Will perform additional related tasks as assigned by Supervisor, some of which may become essential to the position.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Must have a high school diploma and 5+ years of experience in the rigging industry; OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to meet DBIDs requirements.
- Ability to successfully demonstrate the ability to solve problems related to rigging loads.
- Understands the type of signals used at the worksite, is competent in using these signals and understands the operations and limitations of the equipment, including the crane dynamics involved in swinging, raising, lowering and stopping loads and in boom deflection from hoisting loads.
- Ability to pass an oral or written and a practical test.
- Ability to meet physical demands of the role:
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is frequently required to stand (minimum of two hours while conducting regular work duties), walk, sit, use hands and fingers, reach with hands and arms; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl on board ships. The employee will frequently use both hands to grasp rails while climbing, to hold and carry tools and equipment, to operate tools and machinery. The employee must be able to respond to voice or visual commands. The employee must be able to lift 50 pounds on a consistent (daily) basis. May work at heights in access of 100', may perform work in small Jon boats.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it's what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you'll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website