BAE Systems, one of the world's leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 company, is hiring a Sr. Maintainability Engineer. This position can be remote. It can also be located at our Combat Vehicle sites including Minneapolis, MN; Sterling Heights, MI; York, PA; and San Jose, CA.
The Sr. Maintainability Engineer:
- Performs analysis of design and support system concepts to determine the viability of the design in the customer's logistic structure.
- Functions as part of the design team in developing the optimum design that meets all customer requirements.
- Develops narrative and cost proposal inputs.
- Performs maintainability analysis and modeling; modifies/develops models to support analysis when adequate models are not available.
- Performs all analysis tasks for systems in all phases of the life-cycle. Represents BAE Systems at Program and Design Reviews.
- Provides design alternatives to improve supportability.
- Provides technical direction to subcontractors to ensure all maintainability requirements are met within cost and schedule constraints.
- Develops plans for managing projects which will define the maintainability engineering products and analyses needed to be developed for a project or program. Ensures projects and tasks meet cost, quality, schedule and performance requirements.
- Identifies and defines Line Replaceable Units/Modules or Shop Replaceable Units for which analysis needs to be performed.
- Performs Level of Repair Analysis as required to determine the most cost effective alternatives for performing maintenance tasks over the life of the end item or equipment. (Experience with EDCAS is desired.)
- Performs maintenance task analysis, defining maintenance task steps, equipment, tools, times and personnel requirements. (Experience with SLICwave is desired.)
- Calculates Maintenance Ratio, Mean Time To Repair and Max Time To Repair using SLICwave.
- Reviews the design concept and preliminary design for impacts to maintainability. Influences the design effort to ensure maintenance tasks can be accomplished effectively and efficiently by the end user or maintenance staff.
- Recommends changes to designs based on the analysis performed and determines where opportunities exist to improve maintainability and reduce the life-cycle cost of the system.
- Executes and reports on verification and validation efforts to determine whether a system under review will be supportable when fielded.
- Develops and writes technical documentation, makes revisions to existing documentation and provides input to technical papers or presentations.
- Prepares and presents project technical results, recommendations and solutions to internal and external customers.
- Performs technical analysis, calculations and the evaluation of results to solve complex engineering problems using specialized software, models or simulations.
- Provides input and status to project leaders on technical content, cost, schedule and workload requirements.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with customers to resolve complex technical problems and implement solutions.
- May direct the work of less senior technical personnel.
- Maintains a safe work environment and ensures compliance with safety objectives, policies and rules.
- Shares responsibility of self-development with immediate supervisor.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant technical discipline plus 4 years relevant experience; or a M.S. degree and 2 years relevant experience; or a Ph.D. in a relevant technical discipline.
- Ability to lead less senior Maintainability Engineers and provide advice and directions during project execution.
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings.
- Ability to perform standard Maintainability Engineering tasks such as Maintainability Assessment, Design Influence, Level of Repair Analysis, Spare Parts analysis and the identification of Line Replaceable Units.
- Have an understanding of how to perform system and subsystem calculations for Maintenance Ratio, Mean Time To Repair, and Max Time To Repair.
- Have a working knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures in the field of Maintainability Engineering.
- Familiarity with current computer applications and proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with customers to solve complex technical problems.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical results to customers.
Preferred Skills and Education
- Proficient with EDCAS, SLICwave or Microsoft Access.
- Specialized technical knowledge of relevant military and commercial design standards.
- Prefer engineering degree.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website