Information About this Position
- Pod 5 Specialty: Neuro, ENT, Ortho and Neuro Spine
- Full time: 40 hours/week; Day shift
Company and Job Overview
Barnes-Jewish Hospital is the St. Louis region's top adult hospital. Formed from the merger of the former Barnes and Jewish Hospitals to become Missouri's largest hospital, it continues the traditions of its predecessors along with its partner, Washington University School of Medicine, in providing cutting-edge treatments, educating future medical professionals and working to make our community as healthy as it can be.
For over two decades Barnes-Jewish Hospital has been ranked on the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals Honor Roll. In 2021, Barnes-Jewish ranked 17th overall with 11 specialties being ranked. The hospital was also the first hospital in Missouri to be designated as a Magnet® hospital in 2003 by the American Nurses Credentialing Center for excellence in nursing and has been redesignated consistently since.
Barnes-Jewish Hospital is a teaching hospital staffed by more than 1,500 Washington University Physicians, the clinical practice for the Washington University School of medicine. The academic medicine partnership has developed many treatments and procedures that are now common across the globe.
Provides direct patient care activities including assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation, and evaluation within guidelines for standards of nursing care to inpatients and outpatients in the perioperative environment established by AORN.
- Educates patients and their families about the communication process during the procedure, what to expect, and any support resources, as appropriate. Serves as liaison between physician and the patient and family.
- Demonstrates competence and independent practice in roles of scrubbing and/or circulating for all HSO-defined surgical services.
- Uses established safety techniques in preparing for and assisting with surgical procedures; provides and sets up necessary instruments, supplies and equipment for different types of surgeries or procedures according to established safety requirements and preferences of physician.
- Keeps patients safe from adverse events associated with surgery/procedure, including but not limited to: infection, burns, pressure ulcers, wrong site surgery, etc. Has knowledge of wound stage classifications. Observes patient during procedure to detect possible complications and/or breaks in sterile technique; furnishes emergency equipment and supplies to prevent adverse outcomes. Preserves and labels operative specimens for analysis.
- Participates in activities that promote safety, quality and regulatory compliance. Participates in professional development and life long learning. May participate in orientation and preceptorship of new staff, as needed.
- BJC has determined this is a safety-sensitive position. The ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner is an essential function of this job.
- Nursing Diploma or Associate's Degree in Nursing
- 2-5 years Experience
- RN License
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- Certified Perioperative Nurse (CNOR)
- Mastery Test Out
- Periop 101
Note: not all benefits apply to all openings
- Comprehensive medical, dental, life insurance, and disability plan options
- Pension Plan*/403(b) Plan
- 401(k) plan
- Tuition Assistance
- Health Care and Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts
- On-Site Fitness Center (depending on location)
- Paid Time Off Program for vacation, holiday and sick time
*Pension does not apply to Memorial Hospital, Memorial Hospital East, Alton Memorial or Parkland Health Center
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply on company website