Teacher Assistant - Special Education, Self Contained
BASIC FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITY: Provide for the instructional needs of individual students and/or group of students in a school or under the direction of a certified classroom teacher; and assist with physical needs of students, if required.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: The essential functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the characteristic duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities noted herein; however, this is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions found in this job description.
- Assist teacher with daily classroom activities; prepare/modify activities to meet student needs; assist with independent study or lead small groups; inform teacher of student progress.
- Teach students life skills, such as personal hygiene, cooking, and laundry.
- Implement strategies and supports recommended by instructional and related service providers.
- Support the improvement of instruction.
- Support and participate in meeting the objectives of the campus/department improvement plan.
- Assist students with physical/medical needs such as feeding, lifting, toileting, and personal hygiene.
- Assist teacher with emotional/behavioral needs of students.
- Monitor student behavior and maintain classroom discipline as necessary, including intervening in crisis situations and restraining aggressive and/or dangerous student behavior as needed.
- Foster independence by scaffolding support as directed by the classroom teacher.
- Communicate with families under the direction of the classroom teacher.
- Assist campuses in resolving parent/student issues and concerns in a timely manner.
- Assist in managing student behavior in the classroom and common campus areas in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
Support of Administrative, Fiscal and/or Facilities Functions:
- Assist teacher with preparation of instructional equipment; ensure specific materials and supplies are ready; maintain safe instructional area; perform clerical duties and operate specialized equipment.
- Provide assistance to campuses/departments as requested.
- Work collaboratively to improve programs.
Professional Growth and Development:
- Participate in professional development that increases effectiveness and improves District performance.
Texas Academic Performance Indicators and Campus Performance Objectives:
- Support the administration of state-mandated testing at campuses in compliance with state and federal guidelines.
- Interact positively with employees and the community to provide needed information and to promote the District in a favorable manner.
- Participate in team building activities and the decision-making process as appropriate.
- Communicate and collaborate with campus/department staff to enhance service delivery and customer satisfaction.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state law, including but not limited to State Board of Education and local Board policy.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of District, campus, and classroom policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of techniques used in assisting students with special needs.
- Skill in applying classroom/student discipline management.
- Skill in coping with a variety of students with emotional and physical needs in stressful situations.
- Skill in operating specialized medical equipment such as suctions, feeding tubes, lifts, wheelchairs, standers, and special beds.
- Skill in communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Skill in utilizing general instructional strategies.
- Skill in operating standard computer and software applications.
- Ability to administer SAMA de-escalation and restraint techniques, First Aid, and Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
- Ability to organize and prioritize work responsibilities.
ENTRY QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma or equivalent and six months of related experience.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS:
- Maintain emotional control under stress.
- Work with frequent interruptions.
- Sit, walk, stand, stoop, and bend on a frequent basis, to include pushing wheelchairs, using lifts, ramps, and other specialized medical equipment.
- Lift, restrain, and move up to 100 pounds.
- Manage aggressive or dangerous behavior through SAMA de-escalation and physical restraint techniques.
- Work is performed in both indoor and outdoor environments.
- Work involves moderate to frequent exposure to bacteria, communicable diseases, unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
- Work may involve aggressive, physical contact initiated by students.
- Work involves constant interpersonal interactions within an educational environment.
Apply on company website