Summary Job Purpose
Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner (Instructor)
The Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery is seeking a Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner who will work with Surgical Oncology patients under the direction of a physician.
This position will assist the supervising physician with evaluating and assessing patients to determine treatment plan. They will see post-operative patients.Job Duties
• Serve as Surgical first-assist, requiring above-average manual dexterity for appropriate surgical performance.
• The use of a scalpel, electric knife, surgical instruments, sterile technique, and compliance with operating room rules and regulations are preferred.
• Obtains detailed history and performs physical examinations for peri-operative care of surgical surgical oncology patients.
• Performs or orders x-rays, electrocardiograms, laboratory tests, and other diagnostic procedures, and interprets results.
• Formulate an assessment and plan; order and interpret appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic tests in coordinator with faculty Supervising Physician.
• Administers such therapeutic procedures as injections, immunizations, suturing and wound care.
• Instructs patients on prescribed therapeutic regimens, home care and health maintenance.
• Maintains required records and writes progress notes on patient charts as to status, treatments and procedures.
• Provides follow-up and health maintenance care to patients in accordance with protocols established by physicians.
• Give direction and support to PA/NP students assigned to the service.
• Other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications
- Master's degree from an approved Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner Program.
- Licensed as a Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner in the State of Texas.
- Nurse Practitioners: Masters degree in Nursing.
- Current license as a Registered Nurse (RN) by the State of Texas Board of Nursing.
- Current Texas Licensure as an Advanced Practice Nurse (APRN), and with a mandatory acute care certification (CPNP-AC).
- Physician Assistant: Masters degree in Physician Assistant Studies. NOTE: Bachelor's degree in Physician Assistant Studies accepted based on terminal degree requirements at time of graduation.
- Physician Assistant: Current license as a Physician Assistant by the State of Texas Physician Assistant Board.
- Specialty certification as required by department.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Apply on company website