Respiratory Neurobiology Postdoctoral Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
An immediate opening for an NIH post-doctoral fellowship (R01HL130249) to study brainstem respiratory circuits is available in the Ray lab at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston Texas. The current focus in the laboratory is mapping the organization of the central noradrenergic system in regulating cardio-respiratory function and its role in pathophysiologies ranging from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Rett Syndrome to Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy.Job Purpose
Our Laboratory takes a multidisciplinary approach using a variety of genetic, molecular, and viral techniques to target highly specific brainstem cell types for functional, molecular and anatomical study in mouse wild type and disease models.
We are seeking candidates with demonstrable expertise in adult and neonate mouse respiratory studies or similar work.
Additionally, our laboratory is active in the development of new tools for improved access and study of neural circuits and thus offers several training opportunities in mouse genetic model generation (including CRISPR/Cas9 techniques), development of novel viral vectors, as well as protein engineering and purification for in vivo applications.
Baylor College of Medicine offers an outstanding research environment at the Texas Medical Center with more than 50 non-profit institutions that offers one of the highest densities of clinical, translational, and basic science research facilities in the world.Job Duties
- Design and implement research protocols; design safety procedures; adapt new procedures, methods or instrumentation relative to research procedures.
- Oversee media preparation, animal maintenance and equipment maintenance; quality control analysis of reagents.
- Collect, prepare and analyze research data; keep a detailed notebook summarizing experiments and recording research data; maintain computer database of research data; tabulate and display data for presentation in research conferences and for manuscript preparation; use graphics and statistical software to analyze and present data.
- Supervise other personnel in the laboratory to coordinate research efforts for increased efficiency; participate in training of fellows, residents, students and volunteer workers as needed.
- Search pertinent scientific literature as needed.
- Assist with ordering and procurement of supplies and equipment and with general maintenance of laboratory.
Education: Ph.D in Basic Science, Health Science, or a related field.
Experience: None required.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
CA; CH; PD
Apply on company website