Research Technician III for Tuberculosis-Helminth-HIV Lab
The lab studies the mechanisms at which helminths and HIV prevent appropriate immune protection against tuberculosis using multi-parameter flow cytometry, high-resolution microscopy, qPCR and chromatin immunoprecipitation.
The Research Technician III will help investigate lymphocyte-macrophage interactions in the setting of helminth-TB-HIV infection. The RT IIl will be responsible for processing blood and bronchoalveolar specimens; isolating lymphocytes, monocytes and macrophages and characterizing the lymphocytes and macrophages using flow cytometry, microscopy, qPCR or chromatin immunoprecipitation.Job Purpose
Provides responsible technical assistance in support of a research project by completing assignments requiring a basic knowledge of fundamental techniques and practices related to a particular academic or scientific field. Works under minimal supervision by a higher-level research staff member.Job Duties
- Isolates immune cells from blood and bronchoalveolar lavage
- Processes blood and bronchoalveolar specimen
- Isolates lymphocytes, monocytes and macrophages and characterizing the lymphocytes and macrophages using flow cytometry, microscopy, qPCR or chromatin immunoprecipitation
- Performs experiments
- Documents experiments results
- Organizes lab supplies and prepares orders in timely manner
- Orders lab supplies and equipment
- Keeps working equipment and area clean
- Organizes experiment execution with collaborators
- Conducts literature searches and summarizes information in an appropriate format for a particular study
- Selects, evaluates and applies techniques used in routine research
- Required: Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or related field. Four years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- Required: One year of relevant experience.
- None required.
- Preferred: Master's degree in a related field.
- Prior experience with microbiology, BSL-3, qPCR and molecular and cell biology is highly desirable.
- Willingness to learn BSL-3 skills mandatory.
- Paramount is a highly-motivated person with attention to detail, excellent organizational skills and good interpersonal skills that is able to work in a flexible and independent work environment.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Apply on company website