Job ID R1916 Full / Part Time:Part time
This position is located in Greenfield, MA and is 24 hours per week, day shift, every other weekend and holiday. Summary:
Reports to the Unit Manager but daily activities are coordinated by the Unit Staff Nurse. Works with patient and family-focused care teams to ensure all business functions related to processing patient information, manages documentation, transcribes orders and organizes patient medical record and chart. Obtains patient test results and other information for records. Facilitates communication among staff, relaying messages/information. Acts as receptionist for visitors to unit. Orients patients and families to the unit, answering routine questions. This description covers the essential functions of the position. Incumbent is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned. Management has the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
1) Functions as a reception for the unit and facilitates the collection/dissemination of information.
2) Enters orders into PCIS and/or transcribes written orders. Relays STAT orders to appropriate RN immediately. Accurately utilizes downtime forms and procedures.
3) Initiates, maintains and completes hospital records and logs. Maintains chart in proper sequence and stamps pages with patient's name on all records. Prepares medical record prior to patient transfer, copies medical records.
4) Prepares discharge record and assures five elements of the MD note are present: MD signature, condition on discharge, discharge instructions, disposition and diagnosis. Sends complete discharge record to medical records, by the end of shift. Assures information is entered into the appropriate discharge screens to ensure validity of log information.
5) Maintains accurate and timely communications within unit. Answers telephone consistently in courteous manner with proper identification.
6) Answers intercom and relays messages promptly and consistently to team members. Responds to routine inquiries knowledgeably and/or refers them to appropriate person.
7) Sorts, distributes and files department incoming mail and incoming computer generated information.
8) Inventories, maintains and charges supplies. Initiates requisitions as requested accurately and in a timely fashion. Stores supplies within 24 hours of receipt in designated areas. Records or submits charges and/or credits for patient supplies as needed.
9) Is knowledgeable of and initiates emergency procedures. Mobilizes Code team when needed through immediate telephone contact as evidenced by observation and feedback.
10) Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with members of health care team. Assists team members with patient care activities. Provides feedback to coworkers to promote effective team relationships. Communicates an attitude of positive customer focused interactions at all times.Required Work Experience:
1) NonePreferred Work Experience:
1) Secretarial experience with computer knowledge required with a minimum of one year medical secretary or unit clerk experience preferredSkills and Competencies:
1) Knowledge of medical terminology must be documented by prior attendance in a medical terminology course or successful completion of medical terminology exam
2) Demonstrated ability to handle difficult and stressful situations
GED or HiSET (Required)
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation - Various, Certified Crisis Prevention (within 60 days of hire) - Crisis Prevention Institute
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Apply on company website