Job ID R156 Full / Part Time:Full time
Intermediate level Histotechnologist position. HT/HTL(ASCP) certification is required.
Incumbent is expected to perform a variety of diversified duties of a technical nature to produce technically acceptable microscopic sections of human tissues in order to ensure optimal patient diagnosis and treatment. Must possess interpersonal and organizational skills necessary to work productively in a team environment under limited supervision. Incumbent must adhere to system and departmental compliance policies and any and all applicable laws and regulations. Incumbent must commit to Baystate Health System's service standards.
1) Verifies appropriateness of and accurately labels and identifies specimens. Correctly resolves and documents all identification issues, forwards issues outside areas of expertise to appropriate staff.
2) Embedding and microtomy of all specimens. Produces results that meet established departmental standards for accuracy, precision, productivity and quality.
3) Prioritizes work and maintains acceptable level of productivity. Recognizes and documents issues that may affect quality of results and patient care, troubleshoots, and alert appropriate supervisor when necessary. Ability to perform basic troubleshooting of instrumentation, referring issues to superiors when needed.
4) Learns and performs multiple Special Stains. Possesses sufficient theoretical and practical knowledge to ensure all stains are of acceptable quality. Is capable of troubleshooting and correcting any technical concerns prior to releasing slides to the pathologist. Communicates problems with appropriate supervisor when necessary.
5) Learns and becomes proficient in frozen section procedures. Possesses significant technical knowledge of human tissues. Ability to produce quality frozen section slides in an urgent environment. Performs well under pressure and is proactive in handling specimens. Ability to perform basic troubleshooting of discrepancies in frozen section room, alerting appropriate supervisor when necessary.
6) Performs routine quality control. Accurately corrects and/or troubleshoots situations as needed. Keeps accurate and complete records consistent with all departmental requirements and those of regulatory agencies. Notifies appropriate staff when additional assistance is needed
7) Demonstrates excellent communication and teamwork skills. Courteous and helpful in all interactions with all co-workers, healthcare providers, and visitors.
8) Assists in orientation and training of new employees and students. As assigned, assists in projects or studies.
9) Maintains awareness of and follows all BHS pathology compliance policies and procedures
10) Observes and promotes BHS organizational standards of behavior.Required Work Experience:
1) Or eligibility for certification requires graduation from an accredited histotechnolgy programPreferred Work Experience:
1) None ListedSkills and Competencies:
1) Problem solving, reasoning, organization skills, communication, ability to take direction and follow through on tasks, teamwork, attention to detail, ability to multi-task, computer skills
2) Production of quality slides from properly embedded human tissues both fixed and frozen
Associates of Science (Required), Bachelor of Science
Technologist in Hematology - American Society for Clinical Pathology
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Apply on company website