Job ID 86216 Full / Part Time:Full time
The Medical Assistant provides an understanding approach to patient care, is responsive to patient needs, maintains confidentiality, and provides support to patients during examinations, testing and procedures and ensures smooth transitions during patient sessions. To provide patient centered care the Medical Assistant assists in examination and treatment of patients under the direction of a provider. Interviews patients, measures vital signs (i.e., pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight, and height). May draw and collect blood samples from patients and prepare specimens for laboratory analysis. Assists provider with or performs procedures/testing as directed or by protocol. Prepares treatment rooms for examination of patients. Follows up with patient providing educational resources, appointment information and referrals. Ensures that patients' records are accurately documented.The Medical Assistant approaches work with a can do attitude, works collaboratively with the clinical and office staff, and looks to improve operations or resolve problems with thoughtful consideration and responsiveness to the needs of others.The Medical Assistant II is proficient in the Essential Functions and the Practice Specific Skills Inventory for this level. The Medical Assistant II may advance to the Medical Assistant III.Job Responsiblities:
1) Patient and Room Preparation - Based on patient intake data, assess exam requirements and prepare room and patient for exam, treatment, or procedure. Ensures all necessary equipment is available and provides patient with appropriate education materials. Reviews patient and physician schedules to prepare for the day and makes appropriate changes and suggestions for improved patient access and patient flow. Tests all specialized equipment and contacts Clinical Engineering for repair. Reports any non-compliance or concerns to the Supervisor/Manager Joint Commission, DPH, organizational infection controls standards.
2) Patient Intake and History - Accurately and within established time frame, gather and/or confirm patient information including personal data (name, address, etc) and clinical information (health maintenance, vitals, medication, reason for visit, etc) to ensure accurate patient record for evaluation and treatment. Demonstrates proficient understanding of and uses Clinical Information Systems (CIS) and Centricity to enter patient information. Following established departmental protocols answers telephone and gathers information for provider and/or nurse . Independently relays information and outcome to patient appropriate to scope and level of experience.
3) Clinical Orders - Independently implements provider's orders including standing orders and protocols to maintain flow of patient care, testing for appropriate treatment, and coordination of care with clinical team. Accurately refill prescriptions based on protocol, track and prepared controlled substance contracts, prescriptions and necessary testing obtain prior authorization for medication and imaging, and complete incoming forms.
4) Assisting Provider - Available for chaperoning and to assist provider as needed. Assists providers with procedures. Sets up and cleans exam/procedure room. Anticipates the needs of the provider
5) Procedures - Performs procedures independently as approved by provider, including EKG, vision and hearing screening, point of care testing, etc. Immunizations may only be administered in conjunction with Baystate Medical Practices Policy BMP-MM012
6) Documentation - Accurately and within established time frame, completes all documentation. Ensures that patient and provider information is complete. Able to independently document procedures performed during nurse visits.
7) Patient Discharge - Schedule appointments and process referrals. Provide patient education materials and ensures materials are available in patient rooms. Cleans room and prepares for the next patient. Asks questions when presented with new situations. Under the direction of the provider or nurse, reviews instructions with the patient.
8) Communication/Leadership - Communicates with care and leadership team to ensure smooth patient hand-offs and raises red flags as needed.
9) Completes referrals and prior authorizations as needed. Completes surgical and procedue scheduling.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Apply on company website