Job ID 86719 Full / Part Time:Full time
As a Medical Assistant I the employee becomes proficient at the Essential Functions and the Practice Specific Skills Inventory for this level. The employee is expected to achieve competency and advance to the Medical Assistant II.The Medical Assistant provides an understanding approach to patient care, is responsive to patient needs, maintains confidentiality, and provides support to patients during examinations, testing and procedures and ensures smooth transitions during patient sessions. To provide patient centered care the Medical Assistant assists in examination and treatment of patients under the direction of a provider. Interviews patients, measures vital signs (i.e., pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight, and height). May draw and collect blood samples from patients and prepare specimens for laboratory analysis. Assists provider with or performs procedures/testing as directed or by protocol. Prepares treatment rooms for examination of patients. Follows up with patient providing educational resources, appointment information and referrals. Ensures that patients' records are accurately documented.The Medical Assistant approaches work with a can do attitude, works collaboratively with the clinical and office staff, and looks to improve operations or resolve problems with thoughtful consideration and responsiveness to the needs of others.Job Responsiblities:
1) Patient and Room Preparation - Under supervision, processes patient for intake and prepares room for exam, treatment, or procedure. Ensures all necessary equipment is available and provides patient with appropriate education materials. Reviews patient and physician schedules to prepare for the day and makes changes with approval. Reports any non-compliance or concerns to the Supervisor/Manager Joint Commission, DPH, organizational infection controls standards.
2) Patient Intake and History - Reviews patient history & health maintenance information, takes vitals, provides appropriate paperwork for obtaining releases and obtains consent for release of medical data. Demonstrates proficient understanding of and uses Electronic Health records, registration and scheduling systems such as Clinical Information Systems (CIS) and Centricity to enter patient information.Accurately and within established time frame, gather clinical information(health maintenance, vitals, medication, reason for visit, etc.) to ensure accurate patient record for evaluation and treatment. Able to identify and complete site specific patient screening forms required. Demonstrates proficient understanding of and uses CIS and Centricity to enter patient information. Following established departmental protocols answers telephone and gathers information for provider and/or nurse triage.Under Supervision relays outcome to patients, appropriate to level of experience.
3) Clinical Orders - Under supervision implements provider's orders including standing orders and protocols to maintain flow of patient care, testing for appropriate treatment, and coordination of care with clinical team. Asks questions or seeks assistance when unsure of how to proceed. Accurately refill prescriptions based on protocol, track and prepared controlled substance contracts, prescriptions and necessary testing obtain prior authorization for medication and imaging, and complete incoming forms
4) Assisting Provider -Available for chaperoning and to assist provider as needed. Becomes familiar with procedures and how to assists providers during procedures. Sets up and cleans exam/procedure room. Anticipates the needs of the patient, team and provider
5) Procedures - Performs procedures independently as approved by provider, including EKG, vision and hearing screening, point of care testing, etc. May perform phlebotomy if appropriate. Immunizations may only be administered in conjunction with Baystate Medical Practices Policy BMP-MM012.
6) Documentation - Accurately and within established time frame, completes all documentation. Ensures that patient and provider information is complete.
7) Patient Discharge - Schedule appointments and process referrals. Provide patient education materials ensures materials are available in patient rooms. Cleans room and prepares for the next patient. Asks questions when presented with new situations.Under the direction of the nurse or provider, reviews instructions with the patient
8) Communicates with care team and leadership to ensure smooth patient hand-offs.
9) Completes referrals & prior authorizations as needed per practice protocol.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Apply on company website