Job ID 86863 Full / Part Time:Full time
The Medical Assistant provides an understanding approach to patient care, is responsive to patient needs, maintains confidentiality, and provides support to patients during examinations, testing and procedures and ensures smooth transitions during patient sessions. To provide patient centered care the Medical Assistant assists in examination and treatment of patients under the direction of a provider. Interviews patients, measures vital signs (i.e., pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight, and height). May draw and collect blood samples from patients and prepare specimens for laboratory analysis. Assists provider with or performs procedures/testing as directed or by protocol. Prepares treatment rooms for examination of patients. Follows up with patient providing educational resources, appointment information and referrals. Ensures that patients' records are accurately documented.The Medical Assistant approaches work with a can do attitude, works collaboratively with the clinical and office staff, and looks to improve operations or resolve problems with thoughtful consideration and responsiveness to the needs of others.The Medical Assistant III is proficient in the Essential Functions and the Practice Specific Skills Inventory for this level. The Medical Assistant III may advance to the Medical Assistant IV.Job Responsiblities:
1) Patient and Room Preparation - Based on patient intake data, assess exam requirements and prepare room and patient for exam, treatment, or procedure. Ensures all necessary equipment is available and provides patient with appropriate education materials. Reviews patient and physician schedules to prepare for the day and makes appropriate changes and suggestions for improved patient access and patient flow. Tests all specialized equipment and contacts Clinical Engineering for repair. Orders Supplies. May train other medical assistant on patient and room preperation. Reports any non-compliance or concerns to the Supervisor/Manager Joint Commission, DPH, organizational infection controls standards.
2) Patient Intake and History - Accurately and within established time frame, gather and/or confirm patient information including personal data(name, address, etc) and clinical information (health maintenance, vitals, medication, reason for visit, etc) to ensure accurate patient record for evaluation and treatment. Demonstrates expertise in use of electronic medical records.. Departmental Superuser for Clinical Information Systems (CIS). Following established departmental protocols answers telephone and gathers information for provider and/or nurse triage and relays outcome to patient appropriate to level of experience and manages difficult conversations.
3) Clinical Orders - Independently implements provider's orders including standing orders and protocols to maintain flow of patient care, testing for appropriate treatment, and coordination of care with clinical team. Provides input during the development of new triage protocols and trains others when implemented.
4) Assisting Provider - Available for chaperoning and to assist provider as needed. Assists providers with procedures. Sets up and cleans exam/procedure room. Anticipates the needs of the provider. Approprioately preps and/or disinfects clinical equipment to be sent to Central Processing Distribution
5) Procedures - Performs procedures independently as approved by provider, including EKG, vision and hearing screening, point of care testing, etc. Serves as Point of Care (POC) trainer for department. Completes POC validation for new employees and annual validation of clinical staff. Immunizations may only be administered in conjunction with Baystate Medical Practices Policy BMP-MM012. By protocol or under the direction of the provider or nurse assists with more complex procedures performed in the practice. Serves as POC Trainer for department.
6) Documentation - Accurately and within established time frame, completes all documentation. Ensures that patient and provider information is complete.
7) Patient Discharge - Follows up with patient providing education materials, appointments, and referrals as requested by provider order or protocol. Follows up with patients to ensure they have what they need. Cleans room and prepares for the next patient. Under the direction of the provider or nurse, provides education to patients. Is the subject matter expert for patient discharge
8) Communication/Leadership - Communicates with care and leadership team to ensure a smooth hand-off and raises red flags as needed. Participates in the development of practice policies and procedures. Participates in practice improvement planning and projects. Represents MA(s) practice on committees within the practice. Participates in evaluation of MA candidates. Serves as a resource to and mentors MAs within the department. Responsible for eyewash station and WID required testing/validation. May assist with creating daily staffing assignments based on provider volumn and staffing availablity, and make immediate changes based on staffing or provider changes.
9) Provides oral interpretation and limited written translation between limited English proficient (LEP) patients and their family and English-speaking providers and other members of the patient care team. Must have proven verbal and written fluency in English and a second language. Follows the national standards of practice and ethics as defined by the National Council on Interpreting in Health Care. Must achieve at least an 80% on the annual interpreter competency exam composed of medical terminology in English and target language as well as questions about the national standards of practice and interpreter ethics.
10) Completes referrals and prior authorizations as needed. Completes surgical and procedue scheduling.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Apply on company website