The primary function of the Freight Optimization Specialist is to develop and optimize the company's network to generate freight revenue to meet profitability goals, including sourcing of outside capacity and adhoc freight. Responsible for the overall growth and coverage of the assigned backhauls. This position must be proficient in a variety of information systems; will require timely and professional communication and decision-making skills. The position represents the company in a positive image with employees, customers and the community always performing in a safe and ethical manner.
- Supports the strategy and execution of company's freight optimization transactions within all third party freight in a time sensitive environment to meet and exceed customer commitments..
- Secures outside carrier capacity as directed by the Carrier / Brokerage Manager using various means of tendering of loads in support of operations
- Manages assigned outside carrier performance as directed
- Researches and locates good-fit backhaul freight to minimize empty trailers within the guidelines of the company.
- Provides and executes on targeted rate schedules to ensure profitable lanes.
- Assigns backhauls to appropriate scheduled supplier routes. Partner with engineers and/or suppliers to determine space availability on route trucks.
- Leads issue resolution related to carrier performance, selection, billing and discrepancies.
- Provides current market intelligence and industry price trends while developing a deep understanding of market risks and opportunities.
- Provides analysis of market trends and dynamics to ensure operation adjustments to optimize our network.
- Must be able to work collaboratively and ensure timely communication within several areas of the organization including Engineering, 3PL, Operations, Accounting, Compliance and Legal.
- Coordinates times and negotiate with customers to improve upon current pick up allowances and delivery.
- Oversees scheduling of appointments and assigned activity while working with Dispatch to monitor and track loads..
- Maintains customer files and documentation.
- Ensures accurate and timely documentation for billing.
- Builds relationships and rapport with customers, schedules appointment times and communicates schedule deviations.
- Ensures customer needs are met through effective, timely communications.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associates required/Bachelor's degree preferred in logistics or supply chain including a minimum of two years in a dispatch within a fleet size/or driver size of 100 or more utilizing a specialized transportation software.
Knowledge of freight movement and customer relations in the transportation industry is essential. Must possess strong analytical skills and demonstrate good interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Must be able to manage multiple tasks and projects in a fast-paced environment and possess excellent personal computer skills. Should have a working knowledge of a transportation software such as TMW, Peoplenet, PCMiler, etc. and Microsoft Office products software i.e.; Word, Outlook, and Excel. Will posses knowledge of transportation fleet models and will possess general knowledge in Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations and CTPAT.
Should posses the ability to read and interpret documents such as customer agreements and requirements. All candidates must have ability to write routine reports and correspondence and to communicate effectively using the telephone, Fax, E-mail etc. Must have the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists and should be able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Apply on company website