This position is responsible to assist the DOT Safety Manager and CAD department leadership by assuring all aspects of the transportation fleet, and mobile equipment operations, are operating safely and consistent with Department of Transportation (DOT) - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations and safety requirements, and Customs Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT) security best-practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Mentor and coach drivers' safety skills through the use of assessments and prescribed improvement steps to include, but are not limited to, driver ride-along evaluations, driver roadway safety follows, driver-supplier safety encounters, safety and compliance metrics performance reviews, evaluation of demonstrated work tasks (Job Safety Analysis correctness), remedial & annual training, etc.
- Thoroughly investigate, and provide written detail (reports) in accordance with company policy, on all motor vehicle accidents involving company transportation and mobile equipment, all injury accidents, and all instances of crime or wrong-doing.
- Enhance driver engagement through activities that may include, but are not limited to, the active solicitation of driver safety and performance improvement suggestions & recommendations, appreciation activities, incentive & success programs, etc.
- Complete federal, state, and/or BLS required forms or documents (hard, electronic, web, or software application based) that relate to driver licensing and /or examinations.
- Assist with driver Annual Review/Certificate of Violations document completion and collection.
- Gathers, stores, and confirms correct electronic entry into e-Driver Log System (ELDS) of driver 'paper' logs and maintains sercure records in accordance with regulation and policy.
- Fulfill a leadership role in the company's DOT Drug and Alcohol program through assisting and supporting in the administration and/or determination of random, post accident, pre-employment, or reasonable suspicion testing.
- Assists in the tracking, through documentation into defined repository systems (e.g. TMW) of safety and/or compliance training records as well as the creation, dissemination, and administration of safety training programs, resources, or guides.
- Support in hiring of Class A CDL drivers and yard switchers including conducting road tests, screening (interviews), and performance evaluation (e.g. pretrip inspection)
- Serve as the community liaison on issues relating to the safety of BLS drivers.
- Assist with the coordination and facilitation of Driver Safety Meetings
- Participate in New Driver Training, Orientation and Onboarding processes
- Assist in obtaining driver qualification files (DQF) content documents according to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR)
- Gather and provide documentation for claim setup of liabilities or recoveries (demands).
- Develops, through collaboration with management, safety communications and announcement for all Operational departments.
- Actively participate in the administration, and promulgation, of defined driver safety programs or initiatives.
- Assist in the administration of company vehicle registrations, permits, permit book documents, through efforts including, but not limited to, vehicle audits.
- Other administrative support duties as assigned or warranted by department leadership.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in related field preferred; Associates degree will be considered.
- At least three years of experience with DOT regulations and safety administration in a transportation/logistics, general industry, or warehousing environment.
- Professional experience and associated skills in a safety management function may substitute for any absence of education requirements.
- Requires excellent personal computer skills to include Microsoft Office Suite, specifically spread sheeting and database querying. TMW (or similar operational management software) and telematics experience is highly desirable.
LANGUAGE /COMMUNICATION SKILLS
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from leadership and the general public
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED
Must possess strong interpersonal skills. Must demonstrate good communication skills both written and oral. Must be able to manage multiple tasks and projects. Must possess excellent personal computer skills and having working knowledge of Microsoft Office products software i.e.; Word. Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Must have Internet experience.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certifications in OSHA or DOT is desirable. CDL-Class A and over 2 years safe driving experience required.
Apply on company website