Department Description: The Barouch Team at CVVR is seeking a highly motivated, experienced or newly graduated bioinformatician to join our Bioinformatics team.
• Bachelor or M.S. in computational biology, bioinformatics, computer science, or a related field
• Familiarity with fundamental concepts in statistics, and bioinformatics.
• Demonstrated statistical and analytical ability with programming in R and/or Python
• Experience with current analysis methods for processing and mining genomic data preferred
The successful candidate will work collaboratively with our computational biologist, scientists, post-docs and graduate students and will contribute to both the analysis and the interpretation of the data.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 32201BR
Job Summary: Carries out selected data management and bioinformatics analysis activities for a variety of projects in support of the Department and/or Division.
- Implements bioinformatic pipelines for the analysis of high throughput data, including RNA-Seq, exome, and whole genome sequencing data
- Assists in the design, development, and maintenance of databases, repositories, and resources. Designs, implements, and performs data management and quality control procedures as necessary for routine and special projects.
- Designs and implements novel methods for data analysis and integration
- Writes scripts and programs for data processing and data acquisition from online repositories.
- Keeps analysis logs, creates explanatory files (e.g. README files), and follows best practice for the repeatability of analyses
- Master's degree in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics or related required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze next generation sequencing datasets including RNA-Seq, Exome/Whole Genome Sequencing. Must be able to apply existing algorithms in the analysis of such data, if necessary derive novel programs.
- Experience in R/Bioconductor
- Experience in bash scripting and working in a Linux/ HPC environment
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
Apply on company website