Reporter 1 must be well-grounded in use of English language and AP style as they use basic facts to develop compelling, timely and well-sourced stories that accurately reflect the nature of the community or beat the reporter covers. Relied upon for more in-depth reporting.
This should be a combination of daily stories and projects undertaken in conjunction with a supervisor. Must ensure that photo and graphics assignments are filed early in the information gathering process and that presentation elements are considered for each story. Must shoot and edit video, as well as take and transmit photos to accompany stories and for social media.
Responsible for writing for web and print, and using social media to engage readers. Works under general supervision but must possess strong communication and design skills. It is also important for the person to have an eye for detail with the ability to pinpoint mistakes and content holes in stories.
Must have good communication skills to work efficiently with co-workers and sources; critical-thinking skills a must.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Reports accurate and thorough stories gathered through source development and common sense
• Writes stories assigned by editor
• Researches issues before filing stories
• Works with photographers for visual elements for stories
• Writes briefs
• Updates social media regularly
• Shoot and edit video/take and transmit pictures with phone
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Design pages/copy edit
Projects as determined by supervisor
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Excellent writing editing skills
• Proficient in Indesign
• Ability to follow all company policies and procedures including but not limited to attendance standards
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Requires a bachelor's degree from a four-year accredited college or equivalent experience. One to three years experience at a weekly or daily preferred. Internships at larger papers and strong college newspaper experience will be highly considered.
Apply on company website