The Transportation Manager's role is responsible for the overall execution, costs and service levels associated with this very important segment of Bob's inbound supply chain.
With tens of thousands of domestic truck moves per year to Bob's facilities in the USA in support of our ever growing number of furniture stores – this position greatly supports the efficient inbound moves of all the merchandise to final nationwide distribution centers with heavy emphasis on dray(port to DC container moves). The position also includes frequent interaction with Bob's internal management, purchasing, receiving and inventory control departments, trucking companies and brokers and associated 3PL's.
- Develop Request for Proposals (RFPs) and solicit bids from potential domestic transportation service providers including identification of the potential providers and development of the selection criteria.
- Negotiate contracts for transportation services that create alignment to our objectives. Ensure expectations of consistent and fairest cost and service performance are understood and achieved.
- Monitoring all in-coming shipments to ensure timely deliveries that meet all our quality and cost expectations. Maintain distribution center yard goals on dray containers to help control costs and equipment usage.
- Coordinate activities between freight carriers and warehousing operations to maximize the efficient flow of product.
- Plan, schedule, prioritize and expedite all projects to meet internal customer demands and maximize customer satisfaction. Drive continuous improvement in transportation cost and service performance.
- Develop scorecards and metrics to monitor internal and external providers performance including service, cost and quality measures.
- Identify equipment, technology or other methods to increase productivity and lower the overall cost for transportation services.
- Maintain expert understanding of the transportation market, including industry benchmarks for cost components such as fuel, accessorial and government regulations.
- Work with Logistics Directors and Supply Chain Management to identify integration, back haul or other optimization opportunities.
- Provide the highest level of internal customer service to those functional departments within the company that rely on logistical excellence.
- 2-4 years previous experience in Logistics – ie., Freight Forwarding, Customs Brokerage, Ocean/air Carriers, Trucking, Distribution.
- Proficient experience with Microsoft Office tools – specifically Excel, Word and Access.
- Experience in flowcharting with Visio
- College Degree in Business, Logistics, Supply Chain
- A sound understanding of costing, performance measurement and transportation planning models/methodologies along with solid computer/technology skills.
- Driven individual with the ability to follow up daily on issues and problems until resolved and to document the histories.
- Flexibility to manage and work on different tasks in an ever changing global environment.
Expected Hours of Work and Travel
40 hours per week being flexible each day due to nature of nationwide and global communication and dealing with different time zones.
Travel domestically 2 – 4 times per year visiting, ports, Customs partners and Distribution Centers.
Bob's Discount Furniture is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to reasonably accommodating qualified persons with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential duties of their position.
Apply on company website