Company: Bonduelle Fresh Americas
Location: Covina, CA
Career Level: Mid-Senior Level
Industries: Recruitment Agency, Staffing, Job Board
If you complement your food safety expertise with strong organizational and leadership skill, this position offers you some compelling opportunities. You will:
- Expand your knowledge; for example, we comply with both FDA and USDA guidelines. As long as you have one, we'll help you learn the other. Quick question for you - click here
- Take on diverse challenges at one of the largest produce facilities in the Los Angeles area at 400,000 square feet, including 24 production lines, shipping & receiving, a microbiology lab and more.
- Enjoy a positive, team-oriented culture where people have a good deal autonomy and their contributions are appreciated. We also place a high value on continuous improvement.
- Contribute to special products beyond your job description if you choose, and maybe even lead them.
- Showcase your potential to take on additional responsibilities and advance at a growing organization.
Pictured: Our processing facilities apply the latest global standards of food safety and quality. Using the latest technology and equipment, our goal is to ensure we only offer the highest-quality products.
- A college degree in Microbiology, Food Science, Agriculture or another related science field (preferred), or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Quick question for you - click here
- 5+ years of quality assurance experience in at least ONE of the following:
- Supervisory roles at a large facility (preferred); or
- Management roles at a smaller facility.
- Experience in either FDA or USDA regulated facilities; top candidates will have both.
- Knowledge of food safety programs such as GMPs, sanitation, pest control, Safe Quality Food (SQF), and organic.
- Computer proficiency.
- HAACP training or the ability to become HACCP trained.
- The ability to work well in a team environment and collaborate up and down the organization.
- A proven track record of results with a bias for action.
- A passion for learning and a desire to work in a fun culture.
Pictured: Our Ready Snax® Snack Packs are the perfect snack solution at work, after school or anywhere on-the-go. Each of the nine varieties was created to curb your hunger and provide you with a boost of vitamins, all with fewer than 250 calories. Reporting to the Senior Quality Assurance Manager, you will join an overall team of 35, and supervise a QA Coordinator and 14 QA Technicians on the second shift. Quick question for you - click here Your primary responsibility will be to provide leadership to assure compliance with established quality and food safety standards. This will include:
- Providing direction and training to plant associates to facilitate the continuous transfer of quality ownership to operations.
- Directly supervising all of the activities of the QA department on your shift in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable regulations, including interviewing and training associates; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining associates; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Provide support and direction to QA coordinators to manage QA/Post.
- Assume responsibility for the development of associates in the team by coaching, training, and communicating feedback.
- Problem-solve quality issues of raw products with Production.
- Ensure that incoming raw product, ingredients, condiments and packaging are inspected by auditing documents on floor and shadowing inspectors.
- Conduct internal facility audits weekly and publish reports to appropriate parties to address non-conformances and assure continuous improvement. Audit daily and publish report weekly.
- Use shelf-life results and customer/consumer feedback to identify process improvements and communicate recommendations. Communicate and work closely with all departments to achieve quality standards and identify food safety issues.
- Assist in product traceability and investigation of internal foreign objects.
- Investigate all and answer customer complaints as needed.
- Order and maintain QA supply inventories, process requisitions and Pos, and follow up on approvals in JDE to ensure lab supplies are well stocked.
- Communicate with Production and Ag Ops any inbound and/or raw quality issues as needed.
- Monitor hold (non-conforming products) and expired product hold form and disposition, report deviations promptly, and recommend corrective actions.
- Ensure H&R sample submission and COAs are compliant to internal and customer requirements.
- Facilitate monthly staff meetings and prepare agenda for daily huddle meeting.
- Review and approve work schedules, manage PTO and overtime.
- Assist in the preparation of SOPs and One Point Lessons (OPLs).
- Prepare weekly 4 box reports.
- Facilitate Eagle Eye Meetings and assist in managing the Incentive Program.
- Assist in managing product evaluation sample requests and inspection, and shipment of samples as requested by customers.
- Fill in for QA leadership staff on an as needed basis with USDA-FSIS, vendors and/or customers.
- Troubleshoot issues, monitor for Safe Quality Food (SQF) compliance and enforce Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) programs, including training on GMP/HACCP/SQF for all associates.
- Conduct behavioral-based safety audits and identify safety hazards within the QA work areas and report them on the weekly BBS audits to Safety Department Guidelines.
- Validate CCP in automated wash water systems on monthly basis.
- Conduct Alchemy training.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
"Giving people the freedom to eat healthier" has a deeper meaning for us. We believe in responsible business practices that benefit our associates, consumers and communities. Every consumer should have access to fresh, healthy and convenient choices and every one of our products is made with responsibly-sourced ingredients, by individuals who are treated ethically and with respect every day.
Be The Difference
The Bonduelle Fresh Americas Difference is our identity. It defines the value we create that fuels our growth in order to be the most innovative fresh food company. It also defines the culture we create that enables our success and gives us the freedom to invest in our people, our business, and ultimately our consumers. The values defined in The Difference support our ability give our Associates the freedom to drive results, learn and have fun.
We are passionate about promoting sustainable agriculture, reducing our environmental impact, encouraging all employees to drive a culture of corporate social responsibility (CSR), feeding people well and feeding them sustainably, and promoting the well-being of our employees and communities. See the video for more information.
Our culture values teamwork and collaboration, and we are proactive about maintaining an atmosphere that is positive and motivating. We encourage and reward engagement, such as identifying potential safety or quality issues.
In addition to a competitive salary and incentive bonus potential, we offer healthcare benefits to all associates after 30 days of employment, a 401(k) plan after 60 days, a tuition reimbursement program, and more. Your technical expertise will be essential, but just as important will be your interpersonal and leadership skills. On your own team you'll use those skills to coach, motivate and help your people grow professionally. With people in other departments you should establish yourself as a resource for ensuring quality, helping them embrace necessary changes as well as a quality mindset. Of course, there also will be times when you need to be assertive.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding QA Supervisor, you will:
- Promote safety as well as quality.
- Pay attention to details and also grasp the bigger picture.
- Manage multiple tasks and priorities effectively.
- Combine creativity and analytical skills in solving problems.
- Assume ownership of your role and responsibilities.
Apply on company website