Boys & Girls Clubs of America named "One of the Best Nonprofits to Work for in 2017" Indeed.com
Boys & Girls Clubs of America is the nation's premier youth development organization. Our programs, training and services impact nearly 4 million children and teens every year. We are always looking for qualified professionals with a passion for improving young lives, as a member of our national staff. We have strong values, embrace diversity and offer great benefits to allow our employees to maintain work/life balance.
Under the direction of the National Vice President, Strategy & Foundations, the National Director of Foundations, plays a significant role in the expansion and growth of BGCA's foundation fundraising. This role will build and execute on strategies to diversify revenue from sources including mid-level foundations, donor advised funds, as well as newer innovative funding mechanisms. Key to realizing these strategies will be strong strategic mindset, collaborative spirit and expertise in complex service delivery models. The National Director of Foundations will be a knowledgeable proponent of foundation goals and program objectives, as well as a fundraising professional with expertise in partnership and stewardship. The National Director will be responsible for the following objectives:
- Establishing a strategic and systematic focus on engaging mid-level foundations, nationally and regionally focus.
- Identifying and developing collaborative asks with local Boys & Girls Clubs.
- Managing a portfolio of approximately 60 qualified foundations.
- Writing compelling and engaging communications and proposals.
- Meeting or exceeding annual revenue goal while establishing a pipeline for future years.
Strategically engaging senior leaders in the development process.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required. MBA and CFRE preferred
- Minimum of five to 10 years successful resource development experience and track record closing significant foundation solicitations and growing relationships with high level foundation officers. Experience researching, planning, managing and initiating solicitations and reporting on major grants. Experience in the Boys & Girls Club Movement or a similar organization preferred.
Relationships and Teambuilding
- Builds trust and rapport quickly
- Relates well to people of varying backgrounds
- Demonstrates success in developing meaningful relationships with high net worth individuals
- Works collaboratively with internal and external teams
- Shares information in an open and transparent fashion
- Is tactful and respectful
- Has a network of contacts
- Addresses conflicts constructively
- Expresses self clearly and concisely
- Adapts messages to the audience
- Presents in interesting and engaging way
- Focuses attention on important items
- Deals effectively with diverse constituencies
- Writes effectively
- Asks smart questions and listens
- Treats others fairly and consistently
- Deals with others in an honest manner
- Accepts responsibility for actions
- Confronts unethical behavior
- Acts according to stated intentions
- Creates and communicates tactical objectives and action plans
- Monitors progress
- Drives for success and achieves the highest standards of results
- Holds self and others accountable for completing tasks on schedule
Determination, Adaptability and Tenacity
- Anticipates and overcomes obstacles
- Exhibits resourcefulness and finds alternatives
- Takes appropriate risks
- Learns from challenges
- Maintains positive outlook under pressure
- Puts in extra effort when necessary
Passion, Commitment and Knowledge of BGCA and Movement
Demonstrates dedication to the BGC Movement
- Gives compelling testimony to the value of the cause
- Shows care and concern for youth
- Moves others to commit to the cause
- Sacrifices own needs for greater good
- Understands Club experience
- Understands perspectives of organization/Club staff
- Understands how boards are built and maintained
- Understands outcome measurement
- Understands BGCA culture, resources, and budgeting/financial processes
- Establishes self as a credible representative of the cause
- Identifies, qualifies, cultivates, solicits, closes, stewards and renews commitments of $100,000 or more
- Builds a strong partnership with the donor
- Identifies donor “hot buttons” and needs
- Designs proposals to meet both donor and institutional needs
- Convinces donors to support the cause
- Effectively negotiates differences between donor and institutional needs
- Closes complex six-figure commitments including asset-based gifts, planned gifts, multi-year campaign pledges and endowment commitments
- Lobbies effectively for quality delivery on contracts and agreements
- Acts as a good steward of the donor's resources
High energy, motivated, confident and creative. Ability to work for prolonged periods at high levels of activity; managing multiple tasks with varying deadlines; ability to sit for more than four hours per day; reading comprehension and listening.
- Normal Office Environment
- Overnight travel estimated at approximately 25-30% (which can be up to 6 to 8 days or more in a month, including some weekends, depending upon scheduling).
- Contribute to and aggressively implement the strategic plan to meet or exceed personal foundation fundraising goals as well as the team goals.
- Represent Boys & Girls Clubs of America and articulate the vision and mission to a variety of audiences, including volunteers, donors, community leaders and partners
- Develop a comprehensive strategy for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of each assigned foundation prospect, with emphasis on generating multi-year, support of mid-level foundations.
- Identify new opportunities for national foundation support through proactive prospecting and cultivate and solicit increased support from current funders.
- Build and ensure a robust pipeline for future foundation support.
- Work closely with program leadership and other BGCA departments to ensure deep understanding of programmatic innovations and ongoing research, with an eye to communicating developments to our foundation community.
- Collaborate with Clubs, regions and field staff to identify and develop opportunities for national-regional or multi-regional support from major national foundations.
- Leverage President and CEO and Senior Vice President, Resource Development effectively and efficiently in managing foundation relationships.
- Develop compelling proposals, reports, letters, and meeting materials, including extensive written documents and presentations and strategic development of specific grant budgets.
- Ensure exceptional ongoing communication with and stewardship of assigned national foundation supporters
- In conjunction with headquarters core staff (database, research, direct mail), work to ensure integrity of data in foundation information.
- Perform special projects or assignments as required by the National Vice President, Strategy & Foundations.
- Demonstrate BGCA mission driven values of integrity, excellence and inclusion and integrate into work environment and ways of work.
- Adhere to organizational policies and procedures as described in BGCA's Employee Handbook, Ethics Policy and elsewhere.
No direct Reports. May monitor and coordinate the work of temporary employees and student interns
Apply on company website