A career with Bronson opens up new worlds. Cutting-edge technologies, clinical expertise and business innovations combined with individual human care and compassion are all a part of the experience.
BCOM Bronson Commons
Cook, PRN, Variable shifts - Mattawan
The Cook is responsible for the daily food production in the cook's area. Those responsibilities include the proper cooking of vegetables, soups, sauces, gravies, entrees, fried items, etc. Various cooking methods will be used to accomplish these daily duties. Cooks also may assist in ordering of food products. Cooks are required to follow strict dietary guidelines and sanitation standards set forth by the Food and Nutrition Department. Employees providing direct patient care must demonstrate competencies specific to the population served.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
1-2 years cooking experience, preferably in a high volume operation, preferred
Healthcare Environment or Multi-Unit cooking experience preferred
Serve Safe Certification or other comparable third-party food safety certification is required within 3 years of date of hire
Employees hired between 1994 to 2012 must obtain Safe Serv certification or other comparable third-party food safety certification by 1-1-2020 and maintain certification.
• Must have demonstrated organization, communication skills and food safety knowledge
• Must be able to communicate (verbally and in writing) in English with departmental staff, patients and customers
• Must possess good interpersonal skills that represents Bronson in a positive and professional manner
Work which produces high levels of mental/visual fatigue, e.g., interactive and repetitive or small detailed work requiring alertness and concentration for sustained periods of time, the operation of and full attention to a personal computer or CRT between 40 and 70 percent of the time. Involves considerable standing or walking, regular lifting of light-weight objects (i.e., 20 pounds or less) and assisting with heavier tasks such as assisting in lifting and moving patients. Minor straining or fatiguing positions must be assumed, and some fatiguing physical motions are required.
• Prepare and serve patient meals according to standardized recipes, daily menu, special diets (therapeutic/consistency), as ordered by the physician.
• Modifies daily production requirements.
• Produces proper foods according to daily menu requirements.
• Ensures that all food production are completed on time as needed.
• Follows proper techniques for sanitation as described in the Department Sanitation Manual
• Maintains sanitation of the kitchen, food storage area, all equipment, and utensils as required by regulation/policies and cleaning schedule assignments.
• Over-see the daily operation of food service assistants, make recommendations resulting in solutions to a concern or problem in the department.
• Maintains proper safety measures in the use and care of all kitchen equipment and utensils on a daily basis.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
1600 Food Services (BCOM)
Please take a moment to watch a brief video highlighting employment with Bronson!
Apply on company website