A career with Bronson opens up new worlds. Cutting-edge technologies, clinical expertise and business innovations combined with individual human care and compassion are all a part of the experience.
BMH Bronson Methodist Hospital
Patient Care Assistant for Med Surg units - FT variable shifts
Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse, and in accordance with defined policies and procedures for the unit, the Patient Care Assistant (PCA) provides technical patient care to a defined patient population, as assigned by the Registered Nurse. Duties may include the performance of basic technical skills not requiring licensure, such as, but not limited to: gathering patient data, assisting patients with activities of daily living (ADLs), transporting patients, supporting department maintenance activities (stocking patient rooms, moving equipment, ordering and procuring supplies, etc.), providing basic customer services (directions, visitor control, and other functions), as needed. Employees providing direct patient care must demonstrate competencies specific to the population served.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
Previous experience and CNA license preferred
Obtain BLS Certification by the end of the orientation period. Maintain BLS certification.
A PCA/tech may be asked to assist in a patient safety assistant role while maintaining PCA/tech duties for that assigned patient.
• Basic medical terminology knowledge preferred.
• Skill and proficiency in oral and written grammar, communication and basic mathematics.
Work which produces levels of mental/visual fatigue which are typical of jobs that perform a wide variety of duties with frequent and significant uncontrollable deadlines. Work may include the operation of and full attention to a personal computer or CRT up to 40 percent of the time. Involves regularly lifting of bulky or moderately heavy weights (i.e., up to 50 pounds), and occasionally assisting with heavier tasks or expending the equivalent effort in pushing, pulling, or otherwise handling material, equipment, and other objects.
• Provides information, direction, and assistance as appropriate
• Maintains patient/employee safety by following controlled access policies
• Communicates in a timely manner with the RN regarding patient status, interventions completed, data collected and pertinent input to facilitate care planning
• Answers call lights, phones, or intercom system to determine patients' needs
• Serves and collects food trays and feeds patients requiring help
• Provides appropriate assistance to the patient during his/her activities of daily living
• Prepares patients for surgery and/or procedures properly
• Reviews plan of care at beginning of shift with RN and PRN for every assigned patient
• Accompanies patients for diagnostic tests, at discharge and/or assists patients to ambulate
• Turns and repositions patients using safe patient handling techniques
• Obtains vital patient information as directed (i.e., temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiration rates, and food/fluid intake/output, and calorie counts)
• Documents findings in EMR in a timely, accurate and concise manner
• Participates in the Patient Admission Process through timely and accurate performance of assigned duties
• Provides skilled technical care according to unit-specific and generic structure standards, protocols and procedures, prescribed medical interventions, and nursing guidelines as delegated by the RN
• Maintains a clean and orderly environment, ensuring patient safety and comfort at all times
• Assumes responsibility for own growth and development; attends staff meetings
• Manages incoming tubes from tube station and deliver meds or other items to the RN or medication room
• Meets Bronson's Standards of Excellence
• Supports the goals of the unit and participates in department performance improvement
• Follows organizational guidelines for effective hand hygiene consistently
• Restocks supplies as appropriate and stores equipment in defined locations
• Maintains unsupervised access to the unit medication room(s) for stocking and/or retrieving supplies
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Please take a moment to watch a brief video highlighting employment with Bronson!
Apply on company website