A career with Bronson opens up new worlds. Cutting-edge technologies, clinical expertise and business innovations combined with individual human care and compassion are all a part of the experience.
BMH Bronson Methodist Hospital
RNFA BMH FT
Under general supervision and in accordance with the policies, procedures and guidelines established within the organization, unit and the Nurse Practice Act, The RN First Assistant is responsible to the Nurse Manager, Surgical Services. The intraoperative practice of the RNFA is interdependent with the operating surgeon who is being assisted. The RNFA practices under supervision of the surgeon who is being assisted. The RNFA, by the process of individual client evaluation and medical supports, carries out a program of total nursing care to a given number of clients. He/She utilizes the nursing process for meeting the physical, psychosocial, educational and spiritual needs of the client. This includes assessment, nursing diagnosis, planning, implementing, and evaluating nursing care. The RNFA maintains technical skills and utilizing trained surgical assisting skills to assist the physician in the performance of surgery for patients from neonate through geriatric. Utilizing the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation, coordinating the care provided by other professionals, delegating selected acts, tasks or functions that fall within the scope of professional nursing practice and the abilities of patient care assistants and universal support assistants, providing selected aspects of physical care within the scope of professional nursing practice as appropriate given the patient's level of acuity and complexity of care required, documenting and communicating during each tour of duty the patient's response to care provided, consumption of resources and anticipated needs. Employees providing direct patient care must demonstrate competencies specific to the population served.
Additional Job Description
Diploma, Associate's or Bachelor's degree in Nursing and 3 years of clinical experience as scrub and circulating nurse with demonstrated clinical proficiency with at least one year at Bronson Methodist Hospital, which will provide the general knowledge of surgical procedures performed at this institution. Exceptions may be made if applicant has had critical care experience and demonstrates exceptional proficiency
As of December 29, 2013, any nurse hired by Bronson who does not hold a BSN (or higher nursing degree) will be given six years from date of hire date to obtain. If, after six years, the nurse has not met this requirement, employment will be terminated.
Licensed Registered Nurse in good standing with the State of Michigan
BLS competency required by completion of core orientation.
Is currently enrolled in program to obtain CNOR or currently maintains current CNOR.
Completion of AORN accredited course for RN First Assisting within one year of hire as RNFA.
Successful completion of Hospital, Core, and Department specific orientation based upon unit and experience level.
• Ability to read, interpret, and analyze data from various computer systems and equipment in order to set an appropriate plan of action
• Must be able to constantly communicate both verbally, in writing and electronically.
• Activities and treatments must be recorded in an accurate manner and technical information and instructions must be communicated to patients, families, and all members of the care delivery team.
Work which produces levels of mental/visual fatigue which are typical of jobs that perform a wide variety of duties with frequent and significant uncontrollable deadlines. Work may include the operation of and full attention to a personal computer or CRT up to 40 percent of the time. Involves considerable standing or walking, regular lifting of light-weight objects (i.e., 20 pounds or less) and assisting with heavier tasks such as assisting in lifting and moving patients. Minor straining or fatiguing positions must be assumed, and some fatiguing physical motions are required.
• Documents nursing history and physical/emotional needs/strengths for assigned patients.
• Develops a plan of care for assigned patients, based upon assessment of growth and development principles for different age groups. Elaborates on plan of care to individualize to patient needs i.e., special needs of the neonate to geriatric patients.
• Manages care plan for assigned patients by organizing and delegating therapeutic patient care interventions to be implemented and evaluating effectiveness of care given by self and others; individualizing to patient needs.
• Takes temperature, pulse, blood pressure, and other vital signs to assess condition of patient and detect deviations from normal.
• Observes patient, records significant conditions and reactions, implements appropriate interventions and/or notifies supervisor or Physician of patient's condition and reaction to drugs, treatments, and significant incidents.
• Administers prescribed medications and treatments in accordance with approved nursing techniques and policies.
• Explains procedures and treatments to patient to gain cooperation, understanding, and allay apprehension.
• Prepares equipment and aids Physician during treatment and examination of patient.
• Maintains awareness of comfort and safety needs of patient.
• Responds to life saving situations based upon nursing standards, policies, procedures, and protocol.
• Manages personal, unit, and hospital resources effectively
• Rotates among clinical services of institution within cluster (i.e, obstetrics, surgery, orthopedics, outpatient and admitting, pediatrics, etc).
• Prepares rooms, sterile instruments, equipment, and supplies for surgery (as assignment indicates).
• Assists in surgery by handing items to Surgeon, Obstetrician, or other medical practitioner (as assignment indicates).
• Participates in department or unit performance improvement activities.
• Assumes responsibility for professional development.
• Develops and provides a positive work climate and the overall team effort of the department.
• Acts as a clinical resource and role model to Unit Clerk, USAs, PCAs, and LPNs.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
5700 Surgery (BMH)
Please take a moment to watch a brief video highlighting employment with Bronson!
Apply on company website