A career with Bronson opens up new worlds. Cutting-edge technologies, clinical expertise and business innovations combined with individual human care and compassion are all a part of the experience.
BBC Bronson Battle Creek, BMH Bronson Methodist Hospital
Surgical Tech First Asst - Full time
Sign-On Bonus available for qualifying applicants with Surgical Technologist experience.
The Surgical Technologist Assistant works cooperatively with the RN Circulator, the Surgeon, the Scrub Technicians or Scrub Nurses, and other medical personnel to provide efficient, safe, and comfortable care for the patient. The Surgical Technologist Assistant is directly responsible to the Surgeon, the RN Operating Room Circulator, and the OR Nurse Manager. The Surgical Technologist Assistant maintains technical skills and utilizes trained surgical assisting skills to assist the physician in the performance of surgery for patients from neonate through geriatric. The Surgical Technologist Assistant utilizes specialized knowledge to assess, plan, gather equipment, prepare, and maintain the surgical field, re-evaluating and anticipating the needs of the patient and the operative team as the operation progresses. Care is based on age specific current standards of practice. The Surgical Technologist Assistant must be sensitive to the patient's right to privacy and dignity at all times. Employees providing direct patient care must demonstrate competencies specific to the population served.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED), specialized formal training from an accredited surgical technologist course, completion of an accredited Surgical Technologist First Assistant program, and experience or related training as a Surgical Technologist within the past 5 years required.
Surgical Technologist certification is required
BLS competency required by the completion of CORE orientation
Successful completion of Hospital, CORE, and Department specific orientation based upon unit and experience level is mandatory
On-the-job orientation from a qualified RN First Assistant or Surgical Technologist First Assistant
• Demonstrated competency in most surgical procedures
• Must have the ability to read and interpret data from equipment, EKG monitor and computer
• Must be able to control confidentiality of sensitive information.
• Must have the ability to provide positive customer service.
Work which produces levels of mental/visual fatigue which are typical of jobs that perform a wide variety of duties with frequent and significant uncontrollable deadlines. Work may include the operation of and full attention to a personal computer or CRT up to 40 percent of the time.
Involves regularly lifting of bulky or moderately heavy weights (i.e., up to 50 pounds), and occasionally assisting with heavier tasks or expending the equivalent effort in pushing, pulling, or otherwise handling material, equipment, and other objects.
• Fulfills the role as first assistant on surgical procedures. The surgical technologist assistant is always under the supervision and guidance of the surgeon, anesthesiologist, or Nurse Manager.
• Carries out intraoperative procedures including handling tissue, providing exposure using surgical instruments, suturing and controlling blood loss.
• Interprets procedure card, assesses case cart for supplies prior to the scheduled procedure time. Identifies missing equipment and/or supplies and makes arrangements to acquire those supplies.
• Applies knowledge of operative procedure and physician preferences by anticipating physicians' needs.
• Observant of overt changes in patient's condition that indicates a problem has emerged.
• Evaluates and updates case information, i.e., preference cards, broken or misplaced equipment, back-ordered supplies, and recommended changes in procedure.
• Remains aware of the proper use of equipment and instruments, and discourages improper use and handling by co-workers & physicians.
• Is observant of the changing needs of the operative field and the surgical team, anticipates potential needs, and takes appropriate actions.
• Assumes responsibility for professional development and certification requirements
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Apply on company website