The Academic Department Manager (ADM) manages the financial, administrative and human resource operations for the Department of Africana Studies/Rites and Reason Theatre (DAS/RRT). The ADM serves as the liaison between DAS/RRT and other departments responsible for determining University-wide policy, procedures, and services (e.g., Dean of the College, Graduate School, Dean of the Faculty, Registrar, Human Resources, Controller's Office, Budget Office, ORA, OSP, CIS, Dining, Facilities, Campus Police, etc.).
The ADM has a sufficient understanding of the Department's mission/vision, programs, initiatives, projects, and services and the processes and resources required to support them to manage day-to-day operations while anticipating needs and working through challenges.
The ADM plays a primary role in assisting the Chair and Managing Director with strategic short and long term planning as well as works closely with the Director of Undergraduate Studies and the Director of Graduate Studies to administer the undergraduate and graduate programs.
The ADM plays an essential role in all department matters and must exercise a high level of professionalism, confidentiality, and sensitivity.
Education and Experience:
- BA degree or equivalent combination of education and experience plus a minimum of 3-5 years closely related experience, including prior financial and grant experience including preparing grant proposals. Experience in higher education preferred.
- Supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a unit/function to ensure effective use of resources.
- Initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Effective interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Proven verbal and written communication skills to deal effectively in a multi-dimensional environment.
- Strong financial and analytical skills.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google products.
- Technical experience developing database and spreadsheets to support departmental and theatre activities.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound judgments.
- Ability to carry out the management mission of an academic unit in a complex environment.
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment and manage multiple priorities.
- Possess a willingness and ability to support and promote a diverse and inclusive campus community.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown University.
Recruiting Start Date:2019-11-11-08:00
Job Posting Title:Academic Department Manager
Department:Department of Africana Studies
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website