The Benefits Specialist uses comprehensive knowledge of University benefit plans, policies and procedures and related federal and state regulations to ensure that employees understand their benefit options and elections. The Benefits Specialist is responsible for performing timely and accurate transactions, including reviewing and approving employee self-service transactions, ensuring plan enrollments and terminations occur appropriately.
Functioning as one of two Benefits Specialists, provide personalized support to approximately 4,700 active faculty and staff, with approximately 500 hires and terminations per year.
- Provide excellent customer service to all faculty and staff in administering their benefits.
- Review and approve employee self-service transactions and initiate benefit events in the HCM system based on employment actions and other changes affecting benefits eligibility.
- Open Enrollment and Other Projects.
- Maintain benefits records and respond to inquiries from retirees and former employees.
- Bachelor's Degree and five years of experience related to administration of employee benefits in a medium-to-large employer, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with both pension and welfare benefit plans is preferred .
- Attention to detail and proven ability to master complex plan provisions and understanding of the regulatory environment driving employee benefit design and costs.
- Experience with maintaining benefits eligibility and payroll records in a human capital management system featuring employee and manager self-service.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Proficient at using spreadsheets and databases.
- Self-direction in setting daily priorities in a deadline-driven environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Workday experience is desired.
This position requires a strong commitment to promoting diversity. Evidence of cultural competence and inclusiveness; sensitivity to and understanding of diverse perspectives that students and staff bring to their work, including those of academic, socioeconomic, culture, race and ethnicity, ability, gender, sexuality, and intersectional identities.
Background Screening Required
Criminal and education screening.
Recruiting Start Date:2019-08-08-07:00
Job Posting Title:Benefits Specialist
Department:University Human Resources
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website