● While performing the duties of this job, the employee is routinely
required to stand for extended periods; walk; sit, bend; stoop,
kneel, crouch, or crawl use hands to finger, handle, slice, dice,
chop, or feel objects, knives, tools or controls on kitchen
equipment; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; smell, talk or
● Must occasionally lift or move products and supplies, up to 50
● Push and/or pull carts weighing up to 75 pounds.
● Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision,
color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
● Must consistently utilize all Personal Protective Equipment per
Brown Dining Services guidelines
● Must wear a cut resistance glove whenever using a sharp or
potentially sharp tool or instrument.
● Frequently moves about campus to various locations for catered
● Ability to tolerate extreme heat and cold.
As a member of the production team and with direct supervision, assists
cooks in preparation and service of the daily cafeteria and/or catered
function menus, using established procedures and standardized recipes.
Observes highest standards of sanitation, safety and quality assurance.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
● Formulating simple standardized recipes, with supervision, while
adhering to food safety standards related to preparation, holding
● Observing maximum safety precautions in performance of tasks,
especially those, which relate to wet floors; cutting, slicing and
chopping equipment; steamers, hot ovens and gas stoves; and hot
food and pans.
● Correctly disassembling, cleaning and sanitizing all kitchen
equipment while maintaining an uncluttered and sanitary work
● Performing basic equipment maintenance such as oiling,
sharpening, etc. and reporting any malfunction or repair needs to
● Practicing proper food handling techniques as instructed to
reduce/prevent any incidence of foodborne illness.
● Observing all established policies, procedures and regulations of
the kitchen, the department, and the University.
● Improving skills by learning and demonstrating the tasks and
responsibilities of a Cook.
● Practicing teamwork by being cooperative with peers and being
sensitive and respectful of others feelings and beliefs.
● Maintaining a neat, well-groomed professional appearance.
● Performing other tasks as requested.
● Ability to understand and follow instructions, take direction, read
and interpret recipes, and understand symbols of weight and
● One-year experience as a Food Service Worker and/or experience
in and demonstrated ability to assist in all areas of basic food
preparation and/or extensive experience in some areas with a
working knowledge of all others.
● Neat and clean appearance.
● Ability to perform required tasks with speed and efficiency.
● Basic mechanical ability to operate assigned equipment correctly
● Possess a willingness to promote a diverse and inclusive campus
Background Check: Criminal
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. For more information, please visit theHealthy Brown site.
Recruiting Start Date:2021-10-19-07:00
Job Posting Title:Cook's Helper
Grade:Dining Services Union Rates
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. All employees must also receive a COVID-19 booster within thirty (30) days of becoming eligible. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown site.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website