Brown University is a leading research university distinct for its student-centered learning and deep sense of purpose. Our students, faculty and staff are driven by the idea that their work will have an impact in the world.
Brown University offers a flexible work/life balance; summer hours, winter break and a comprehensive Benefits package including time off, annual paid holidays; benefits offerings including health, dental, vision, tuition assistance, retirement, wellness, employee discounts and more. To learn about Brown University's benefits, visit the University Human Resources web page here for further information.
About the Opportunity:
The Graduate School, as a partner with departments, oversees policies and processes that guarantee the academic integrity of graduate programs institution-wide, manages campus appointments and an array of academic and professional development opportunities for graduate students, and provides a wide range of support services and programming to support student needs.
Brown University prepares graduate students for distinguished careers in research, teaching, and as experts in the public and private sectors. The rigors of research, analysis, debate, performance, and publication prepare our graduates to help address challenges inside and outside academia.
The Graduate School seeks a Manager of Data Analytics to oversee the design, production, and analysis of data and reports on graduate students and graduate programs at Brown. The Manager designs an overall strategy and approach to data management and analysis for graduate education at Brown that furthers the mission of the Graduate School. The Manager effectively communicates plans, initiatives, and process changes to support this approach, and coordinates the work of several offices and colleagues to accomplish goals. The Manager serves as an expert in data management, reporting, and analysis and uses these skills not only to execute their own projects and develop new ones, but to indirectly oversee the work of others in the data space. This position reports to the Executive Dean of Administration and Finance in the Graduate School, with a dotted line report to the Director of Institutional Research. The Manager will work closely with colleagues in Institutional Research, attending meetings and partnering on various initiatives and projects as needed.
The Manager works with Graduate School and School of Professional Studies colleagues as well as University partners to generate timely, accurate, and meaningful data that informs data-driven decisions in the Graduate School and elsewhere in the University. Beyond updating existing reports and dashboards, the Manager identifies additional opportunities for reports that contribute to advancing Graduate School priorities. The Manager works to support data definitions, business practices, and validation practices that produce useful, highly accurate data.
Reporting areas include, but are not limited to, admission, enrollment, graduation, outcome and student support information, with particular attention to data relevant to diversity and inclusion. This will involve the use of University reporting tools such as Cognos and Tableau to create complex spreadsheets, tables, charts and other data visualizations. The incumbent will be expected to work in close collaboration with associated offices, including the School of Professional Studies as well as the offices of Business Intelligence, Institutional Research (OIR), and the Registrar to develop reports and manage best practices for data integrity.
- Bachelor's degree plus 5-7 years of related experience. A master's degree is preferred.
- Significant experience analyzing large data sets.
- Significant experience developing and presenting visualizations for complex data sets.
- Experience identifying and proposing changes to business processes or data collection efforts to support more robust reporting and analysis.
- Experience reviewing business practices to ensure reliable data.
- Experience aligning data definitions with peer standards.
- Demonstrated experience and success working in a diverse environment with a clear understanding of the issues of diversity in both student and workplace settings required.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Experience with the following Brown data systems a plus: Banner, Cognos and Tableau.
- Experience working with graduate student enrollment data preferred.
- Experience in academia or an academic organization.
- Experience presenting to senior leaders.
- Experience with data systems implementation.
- Advanced skills in data retrieval using Business Intelligence reporting tools such as Cognos.
- Advanced quantitative skills in data analysis; statistical training desirable.
- Expertise in presenting information, and the ability to articulate complex statistical issues to non-technical audiences, verbally and in writing.
- Executive-level presentation and communication skills.
- Project management and change management skills.
- Expertise in database design practices, desktop reporting tools and information display tools.
- Demonstrated aptitude for broad, critical thinking and high-level problem solving.
- Ability to work with flexibility and tact across broad constituencies.
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects.
- Strong management and project development skills, ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and work closely with peers.
- Attention to detail, judgment, and discretion.
- Must recognize requests that are time sensitive, politically delicate, or involve confidentiality concerns.
Applicants are asked to include a resume and cover letter.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Recruiting Start Date:2022-11-17-08:00
Job Posting Title:Manager, Data Analytics
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Position Classification:Hybrid Eligible
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. All employees must also receive a COVID-19 booster within thirty (30) days of becoming eligible. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown site.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person's race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, in the administration of its policies, programs, and activities.
Apply on company website