The Program Director for Orientation and the First Year Experience provides vision and direction for developing programs that support a highly diverse cohort of new students in their transition to Brown and across their first year. The Program Director has primary responsibility for managing Orientation, the university's program for welcoming and connecting new undergraduate, transfer, visiting, and resumed undergraduate education students to the University. This position develops, coordinates, and oversees the first year experience, designed to support these new students as they become fully connected and engaged members of the Brown University community. This position provides the coordination, collaboration, and logistical oversight with campus partners to ensure a seamless transition, orientation, and holistic first year experience for new students with an emphasis on connecting students to peers, advisors, mentors, and multiple institutional resources throughout the first year. The Program Director is also responsible for overall program assessment and improvement. Reporting to the Associate Vice President and Dean of Students, this position serves as a content expert in orientation, transition, and programming for first-year students as well as a leader in developing community and a sense of belonging among new students.
To be considered, applicants must submit both a cover letter and a resume.
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred, and five years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience, preferably experience in administrative project and program management
- Experience in the development and implementation of programs aimed at first year students
- Skills, knowledge, and experience developing orientation and transition programs that are responsive to the needs of a diverse student population including students from historically underrepresented groups
- Advanced communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to students, faculty, staff, and families
- Knowledge and understanding of theory and practical application of best practices for student development
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills to review and analyze complex information
- Experience working with residential curricula and leadership development for highly diverse student populations and collaborating with administrators and faculty in out-of-classroom settings
- Highly developed communication and relational skills to interact positively, cooperatively, and collaboratively with stakeholders
- Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite, as well as relevant computer systems/technology experience
- Willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive environment
BACKGROUND CHECK: Criminal and Education Verification
Recruiting Start Date:2019-10-28-07:00
Job Posting Title:Program Director for Orientation & First Year Experience
Department:AVP Dean of Students
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website