This position provides advanced application, operating system, desktop and mobile hardware, audiovisual, and other technology support to the Department of Physics via a combination of deskside assistance, device/endpoint management, user documentation and training, and remote access tools. Works with faculty, staff, students, postdocs and others within the Department to resolve computing issues and maintain computing/mobile equipment throughout their full lifecycle. Advises Department leadership on technology decisions, equipment lifecycle management, and effective use of technology to support the research, teaching, and administration in the Department. Balances and prioritizes service to multiple labs and faculty, with a high degree of responsiveness and partnership. Works closely with Computing & Information Services to align the Department with best practices and available enterprise-level services in support of Department needs. Suggests, plans and implements technology initiatives for the Department.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- 3-5 years of providing deskside IT computing support in a complex environment
- One or more MCP, MCSE/MCSA, SCCM, JAMF, or ACSP certifications preferred
- Understanding and appreciation of needs of users in an academic environment with diverse user experience levels; experience in research areas and/or Higher Education preferred
- Expert knowledge of and experience supporting Windows, macOS, and mobile device platforms (iOS/Android) including core software/services used at Brown (Microsoft Office, Google G-Suite, videoconferencing, etc.)
- Experience with scientific/research software applications preferred, particularly in Physics and related disciplines
- Experience supporting enterprise-level end-user services such as file, print, network, authentication/identity, finance, purchasing, ticketing, and streaming application systems
- Some experience with desktop and server Linux systems preferred
- Demonstrated troubleshooting skills for related technology peripherals and endpoint devices (printers, mobile hardware, etc.)
- Experience with audiovisual equipment and systems
- Experience with enterprise configuration management/package deployment tools such as Microsoft OSD/SCCM, InTune, JAMF and/or ASM preferred
- Excellent customer service skills and strong commitment to service, with effective written/verbal communication, technical follow-through, personal organization and prioritization
- Demonstrated ability to create effective user and technical documentation
- Experience planning and delivering Department-scale technical projects
- Proven ability to analyze, troubleshoot, and problem-solve complex technical issues as well as recommend appropriate technology solutions for complex user problems
- Demonstrated ability to work in partnership with Department personnel and the central IT organization, and to promote a positive, collaborative, and inclusive work environment
- Ability to work and develop new skills independently from existing learning resources and peers/manager; self-starter
- Ability to independently manage time effectively, multitask, and organize personal workflow in a high-volume environment
- Possesses a willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive environment.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown University.
Recruiting Start Date:2019-07-02-07:00
Job Posting Title:Senior IT Support Consultant
Department:Department of Physics
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website