As a Maintenance Apprentice, you will engage in a structured learning program under the supervision of maintenance leaders and subject matter experts. As you work through the program, you will assist maintenance teams and support all aspects of the maintenance department as needed or directed.
About the Maintenance Apprenticeship Program (MAP)
The Maintenance Apprenticeship Program (MAP) is a unique opportunity for a limited number of qualifying individuals to participate in a hands-on, practical application learning initiative intended to compliment the apprentice's academic coursework by working side-by-side with maintenance leaders and subject matter experts at a Butterball plant/facility. The apprenticeship opportunity is available on a part-time (25 hours per week) or full-time basis (40 hours per week).
Part-Time: Designed with the traditional student in mind, the part-time approach allows you to compliment your academic learnings with all aspects of our practical application apprenticeship program. (25 hours/week).
Full-Time: Designed for those who have recently completed their technical education, the full-time approach allows you to supplement the apprenticeship program with additional hours working in support of the facility's ongoing maintenance needs (40 hours per week).
Apprentices accepted into the program will work at the Butterball plant nearest their educational institution for a period of one semester, lasting 14 weeks. During Semester 1, each apprentice will engage in a structured, hands-on learning program.
A select group of apprentices, having successfully completed Semester 1 and proven their competency in the required areas, will be invited to participate in the Semester 2 capstone of the Maintenance Apprenticeship Program (MAP), lasting 16 weeks.
Tentative dates for the upcoming class of apprentices (30 total weeks):
- Semester 1: May 24 – August 27, 2021
- Semester 2: August 30 – December 17, 2021 (for those selected to proceed to the capstone)
Full-time Employment Opportunity
Those remaining apprentices, having successfully completed both Semester 1 and Semester 2, will be eligible to join Butterball as a full-time maintenance technician.
Apprentices accepted into the Maintenance Apprenticeship Program (MAP) will be paid at an hourly rate commensurate with an entry-level/trainee-level maintenance team member.
Essential Duties, Functions, and Responsibilities:
- Under the supervision of maintenance leaders and subject matter experts, engage in a maintenance technician apprenticeship program that will involve hands-on learning and application in such areas as:
- Workplace Safety
- Motor Maintenance
- Electrical Troubleshooting
- Control Wiring
- Hydraulics and Pneumatics
- Post-training, the apprentice will be required to show / prove competency in the areas noted above
- Assist maintenance team and support all aspects of the maintenance department as needed or directed
- Perform preventative maintenance on plant equipment or machinery
- Follows all work safety policies and guidelines
- Observes equipment operation, notifying appropriate personnel of any malfunctions and/or safety issues/concerns
- Adheres to all USDA and GMP (Good Manufacturing Processes) product standards and guidelines
- Maintains a clean and organized work area
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Accountable to maintain punctual and regular attendance for scheduled work hours
- Must have successfully completed 3 or more courses, in or post-HS and within the past 18 months, in at least one of the following areas of specialization / training:
- PLC Programming
- Motor Controls
- Industrial Ammonia Refrigeration (IAR)
- Must be able to follow diagrams, operation manuals and manufacturing instructions
- Must be able to read schematics
- Must be able to perform basic troubleshooting
- With appropriate supervision and training, must be able to handle situations involving electrical meeting water
- Must have ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Must have ability to communicate effectively and follow verbal and written instructions
- Must be willing and able to perform physical requirements of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and legally authorized to work in the United States
- Must pass a background check, drug screen and pre-employment physical
- Standing (6 hours a day or more),
- Lifting, carrying, pushing, or pulling (up to and including 50lbs or more)
- Reaching overhead (up to and including 25lbs)
- Operating handheld and/or mechanical machinery
- Climbing stairs
- Working with hand tools
- Gripping, grasping, and twisting using hands and wrists
- Bending and stooping for long periods of time.
Apply on company website