Our Pet Segment is searching for a Quality Assurance Food Safety Manager in our Neptune City and Monroe Township, NJ facilities. The quality assurance food safety manager is responsible for ensuring that food products quality and safety meet standards set by both the company and regulatory authorities. They develop and review quality and safety policies and manage audits by internal and third-party inspectors. Manager may train quality assurance employees and oversee manufacturing and production processes. Manager must be knowledgeable about all food safety standards that are customary within the food industry and mandated by government regulations. Common standards expected to be familiar with include the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) management system required by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the standards set by the Safe Quality Food Institute (SQFI).
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Manage Quality Assurance staff members; conduct staff meetings periodically; and provide staff performance review according to company process.
- Request and maintain internal and external test results for ingredient and product documentation. Communicate results to management.
- Work with the accredited laboratories and associated services in support of food quality/safety as needed.
- Maintain pest control records, trending and report out to management periodically.
- Identifying and resolving problems cross functionally as needed.
- Manage root-cause analysis for complaints as needed. Document incidence, outcome for feedback to customer and implement mitigation plan as needed.
- Develop and implement internal audits. Conduct internal audits with cross functional group to inspect facilities for compliance with standards, determining methods to resolve any issues that arise. Support external audits.
- Support recovery and recall processes, including traceability policies and procedures.
- Develop food safety plans by conducting hazard analyses; identifying critical control points and preventive measures; establishing critical limits, monitoring procedures, corrective actions, and verification and validation procedures.
- Prepare reports on food quality status to relay to management and maintain documentation of all tests and inspections that have been conducted.
- Establish and maintain quality/food safety SOP's and related Work Instructions, Policies and Procedures.
- Collaborate with production to maintain operations SOP's and related Work Instructions.
- Collaborate with production by participating in variance and corrective actions.
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal regulations by studying existing and new regulations; anticipating regulations; enforcing adherence to requirements; seeking continuous improvement; advising management on needed actions.
- Keep current on food quality/safety trends and issues that can impact the business and communicate to management. Participate in an associated professional organization.
- Collaborate with production and other groups to provide education and training of personnel on food quality/safety practices and standards.
- Facilitate quality/food safety meetings to provide guidance on best practices (e.g. oversee GMP, Sanitation and Continual assessment), root cause analysis and implementation of the quality system.
- Maintain and implement the Supplier Qualification Program including working with vendors
IDEAL CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES
- B.S. or higher in Food Science/relative discipline (science degree preferred)
- Has managerial experience in a FDA and USDA food manufacturing facility
- Certified International HACCP Alliance trained within the last 5 years
- Preventative Control training for animal food certified (PCQI)
- Certified SQF practitioner
- Internal auditing training certification and or experience in 3rd party auditing
- Extensive knowledge in the industry standards of Quality and Food Safety
- Knowledge of Statistical Process Control and Analysis
- Must be detail oriented and organized
- Must have excellent communication skills
At Central Garden & Pet (NASDAQ: CENT and CENTA), we believe home is at the center of our lives, and our employees are driven by our purpose to nurture happy and healthy homes. Our company is made up of thousands of people across North America, with an emerging footprint across the U.K., Mexico, China and Canada - all dedicated to helping gardens bloom bigger, pets live healthier and communities grow stronger. We are united by our mission to lead the future of the garden and pet industries…one blade of grass and one wagging tail at a time. Visit our website at www.central.com to learn more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
All successful applicants should expect to undergo a screening for prohibited levels of drugs prior to beginning employment.Back Share Apply Now
Apply on company website