Do you have strong skills in both full cycle accounting AND cost accounting with a process improvement mindset? If so, Breeder's Choice Pet Food, the makers of Avoderm and Pinnacle premium pet foods, wants to talk to you!
Breeder's Choice, located in Irwindale, California, is a division of Central Garden & Pet, a $2B consumer products company, and we are searching for a well-rounded Senior Accounting Analyst/Cost Accountant who has both full cycle accounting and cost accounting experience in a manufacturing facility. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining the integrity of the balance sheet and the product cost accuracy to the income statement. The Senior Accounting Analyst will be required to update existing product costs and develop new costing in an evolving manufacturing processing environment. This role will provide significant support and partner with Marketing, R&D, Operations/Production and Finance Leaders by ensuring accurate transactional data in SAP and the analysis of meaningful data against budget/standard.
Central Garden & Pet Company (NASDAQ: CENT and CENTA) is a leading innovator, marketer and producer of quality branded products for the pet and lawn and garden supplies markets. Please see our website at www.central.com for additional company information. Full time employees enjoy excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, short-term and long term disability, free life insurance, tuition reimbursement, product discounts and more!
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Create and complete month end journal entries related but not limited to prepaids, amortizations, accruals, true ups, reclasses and reversals. Complete related reconciliations and reports.Research and resolve reconciliation variances during month end close.
- Organize and record Intercompany charges as well as send out Intercompany charge memos to other business units and ensure balancing between entities.
- Review AP and AR aging to ensure aged transactions are worked and resolved and act as the local liaison to our AP/AR partners at the Central Service Center.
- Responsible for Pcard and Petty Cash transactions along with capital expenditure (Capex) cost tracking and fixed asset addition/retirement/disposal review/tracking/processing. Coordinate capitalization of Capex with Ops and central Fixed Asset Administrator.
- Work with process owners to clear aged ‘received not vouchered' POs and prepare Annual Unsecured Property Tax Filing
- Set up Bills of Material and Routings and work with Operations to ensure accurate production lot size, scrap rate, and yield factor for accurate standard cost setup.
- Perform weekly analysis and provide explanation for actual versus standard cost variance for purchase price, manufacturing usage/consumption, inventory adjustment, labor/overhead absorption and freight variances.
- Responsible for Scrap tracking and reporting in addition to supporting Operations to analyze drivers of scrap and minimize actual scrap.
- Ensure proper shipping and receiving inventory flow for clean month end inventory cut offs.
- Perform month end closing duties related to costing, inventory and production/purchase orders and resolve production work order settlement variances.
- Establish and coordinate review of inventory reserve related to expiration, LCM, and impairment.
- Support physical and/or cycle count of inventory.
- Develop, review and guide operations team on monthly spend versus budget and lead annual cost build and support the annual budget and quarterly forecasting process.
- Perform any special projects and analysis such as ad-hoc new product cost estimates
- Work with the business to identify cost saving opportunities and develop action steps to achieve those savings.
- Foster strong working relationships with peers and management to develop efficient and effective cross-functional relationships
IDEAL CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance required with 3-5 years related progressive experience.
- Experience with advanced ERP systems required, SAP preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills required including vlookup, sumifs and pivot tables. Proficiency in Word and Power Point strongly desired.
- Strong, solid understanding of GAAP and internal controls under SOX required.
- Previous experience in a process manufacturing environment required, food industry preferred.
- CPA and/or CMA, MBA a plus.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills; able to clearly and concisely work and communicate with all levels of the organization
- Self-starter, excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, ability to successfully work independently and within a team environment, ability to manage priorities.
- Detail-oriented, organized and planful to meet deadlines while delivering a quality product.
- Passion for excellence and a willingness to lead change and process improvement with the bandwidth to handle a range of job responsibilities.
- Comfortable working in a small business environment within a large organization
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment with periodic visits to manufacturing areas.
- Hours will generally be regular business hours and average at least 40 hours a week.
- There will be some variation in work hours due to training schedule, overtime, physical inventories, special projects, deadlines, and other concerns.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply on company website