CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is the second largest U.S. communications provider to global enterprise customers. With customers in more than 60 countries and an intense focus on the customer experience, CenturyLink strives to be the worlds best networking company by solving customers increased demand for reliable and secure connections. The company also serves as its customers trusted partner, helping them manage increased network and IT complexity and providing managed network and cyber security solutions that help protect their business.
Manages the daily operations of the outside fiber plant to include engineering, permitting, contracting, designing and maintenance of new building adds and existing fiber facility relocations. Responsible for design and development of complex outside plant (OSP) equipment installations, modifications and upgrades. Maintains fiber splice records, network topography records and fiber mapping and as-builts in corporate inventory systems. Works closely with other carriers, engineering firms, local/ state agencies and building owners/landlords on new building adds and relocations.Job Description
- Maintains the security of the outside fiber plant (OSP) network either aerial and/or underground, throughout area of responsibility. Works closely with other carriers, local/ state agencies and building owners/landlords on new building adds and relocations.
- Utilizes a variety of systems for the processing and reporting of work activities, inventorying OSP facilities, documentation of projects and managing various budgets to include but not limited to new construction and route maintenance.
- Works closely with upstream groups, completes fiber verification requests, project estimations, designs, bids, permits and manages construction of new building adds. Monitors infrastructure builds and reviews/punch lists and approves work meets industry construction standards. Prepares project timelines, prepares and track budgets and provides detailed weekly status reports.
- Obtains value added contractors/subcontractors for engineering, permitting and construction of OSP infrastructure. Maintains fiber splice records, network topography records and fiber mapping.
- Directs emergency restoration and mitigation activities required for the OSP network. This could include fiber optic damages, natural disasters, power failures and other events.
- Manages contract and/or employee fiber splicers. Provides on the job divisional training to employees and oversees contractors to ensure the proper method and procedures of facility protection and maintenance are followed. This includes the use of Optical Time Domain Reflectometers (OTDR) and troubleshooting tone generation/reception in field.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Strong background and understanding of telecommunications outside plant construction and managing network related construction projects with successful results (scope, schedule, and budget).
- Highly professional and motivated.
- Understanding of contracts management and project accounting.
- Creative problem solver.
- Proven results in building strong peer level relationships.
- 5 plus years of experience in permitting, engineering, contractor management, fiber splicing, project management, different types of underground and aerial cable plant installation and maintenance.
- Strong OSP construction knowledge with ability to readred-line construction drawings to facilitate new builds, relocations and emergency repairs
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching, managerial, and leadership skills
- Ability to perform a wide spectrum of complex assignments requiring alternative analysis, innovation and judgment. Assumes responsibility for contribution to the success of major or multiple projects, and is periodically called upon to make decisions.
- Must be proficient in MS Office applications, databases, and flowcharts.
- Experience in computer aided drafting (CAD) programs.
- Ability to be on-call on a 24x7x365 basis.
- Regular work schedule may be after-hours and/or weekend work.
- Field ; Sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl; lift 75 lbs.; Valid driver's license required; works in all weather conditions.
Alternate Location: US-South Carolina-Greenville
Requisition #: 217279
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, protected statuses). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Apply on company website