Join 11,000 employees creating connections to empower agriculture by supporting our cooperative-owners and direct farmer-owners and creating vibrant communities. As one of the nation's leading cooperatives, we're always looking for people eager to apply their skills and ideas to drive us forward.
Our teams work together to provide the products, services and expertise farmers and cooperatives need to feed a growing population. Whether you're looking for a position in a small town or big city, in finance or transportation, agriculture or energy, we invite you to explore the opportunities within CHS.
CHS has an exciting opportunity at our McPherson Oil Refinery. We are looking for an Accountant to provide accounting support and aid the flow of financial information between McPherson and the St. Paul, MN office. You must be a detail-oriented, results-driven individual with a commitment to quality, accuracy, thorough analysis, and effective problem solving, with the ability to organize and prioritize workloads to meet deadlines. Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to work in both a team environment and on self-directed tasks are necessary.
You will have an opportunity to leverage your experience and skills in performing the following job responsibilities:
- Maintain general ledger accounts and related activities to produce financial statements and reports
- Reconcile, analyze and review accounts receivable and sales along with general ledger accounts in preparation for month-end close process
- Prepare journal entries with review for accuracy and evaluate accounting classifications in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Ensure monthly accruals, allocations and other complex journal entries are accurate as new information is obtained
- Provide requested documentation in support of external and internal audits
- Assist with the preparation and analysis of financial statements, including balance sheets, income statements, consolidated statements and various other accounting statements and reports
- Perform other reporting as needed
- Assist with or lead the month-end and quarter-end close process for assigned business unit or group, understanding and utilizing the appropriate information systems and technology
- Assist in evaluating, recommending, maintaining and monitoring appropriate internal controls and related documentation
- Maintain and promote a strong safety culture and follow all safety policies, procedures and regulations. Identify and communicate workplace hazards and correct or seek assistance in correcting unsafe actions or conditions
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or related field.
- 2+ years of experience in one or more of the following:
- Accounting, Internal Controls, Financial Analysis, Auditing
- Knowledge and direct application of GAAP to review and prepare general ledger accounts, prepare financial statements, and review complex journal entries for accuracy.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word
- Past work experience reconciling, analyzing, and reviewing general ledger accounts and related activities
- Past work experience assisting with, maintaining, and monitoring appropriate internal controls
- Previous work experience using enterprise resource planning systems (ERP) such as JDEdwards, SAP, or others
- Familiarity with accounting systems and knowledge of computerized applications
- Oil refining and/or pipeline industry experience
- 3+ years of work experience in Accounting, Audit, Tax, or Financial Analytics role
- Experience with SAP general ledger and related reporting software
- Experience with JDEdwards software
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel Power BI or similar advanced reporting tools
- Past direct work experience identifying and addressing weaknesses in internal controls
- Ability to:
- Analyze, interpret, and report financial data
- Complete assignments with minimal oversight and handle intermediate accounting activities
- Work effectively in multiple information systems and ERP systems
- CPA, CMA or similar professional certification
Benefits & EOE
CHS offers a competitive total compensation package. Benefits include: Health, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Life Insurance, Health and Day Care Savings Accounts, Paid Vacation , 401K, Company Funded Pension, Profit Sharing, Long and Short Term Disability, Tuition reimbursement, and Adoption assistance. This position will have opportunity for growth.
CHS Inc. is a leading global agribusiness owned by farmers, ranchers and cooperatives across the United States. Diversified in energy, grains and foods, CHS is committed to helping its customers, farmer-owners and other stakeholders grow their businesses through its domestic and global operations. CHS supplies energy, crop nutrients, grain marketing services, animal feed, food and food ingredients, along with insurance, financial and risk management services. The company operates petroleum refineries/pipelines and manufactures, markets and distributes Cenex® brand refined fuels, lubricants, propane and renewable energy products. CHS is an equal opportunity employer/disability/veteran.
The CHS Talent Acquisition Team supports recruitment for positions within CHS as well as finding opportunities for candidates within our robust network of member cooperatives. By submitting an application for any position, you give CHS permission to review your application and contact you to discuss opportunities within our member cooperatives. To explore current openings within our member cooperatives, please click here.
Effective January 6, 2020, the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires employers to conduct a pre-employment verification full query against the newly established License Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse prior to beginning employment in a position that requires a valid commercial driver's license (CDL). Candidates seeking employment in a position that requires a commercial motor vehicle license must voluntarily enter their information into the FMCSA and must provide disclosure authorization, at the time of offer, to CHS or an authorized third-party agent of CHS to verify information.
Apply on company website