DESCRIPTION The purpose of this classification is to prevent, suppress and extinguish fires and to perform other related firefighting activities. Protects lives and property endangered by fire and other emergency situations within the guidelines of supervisory instructions, NFPA federal and state laws, local ordinances, building codes, and County and department rules, regulations, policies, and procedures. Reports to the Fire Lieutenant or other designated person and works with co-workers, fire and emergency victims, law enforcement personnel, forestry officials, utility companies, and the public to protect the lives and property of citizens. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attends training sessions as required to gain skills and knowledge regarding department operations, job performance, and policies, procedures, rules and regulations: reads professional literature and training materials; completes tests and skills assessments; and obtains and maintains professional affiliations.
- Responds to emergency calls for fire suppression, medical assistance, hazardous materials incidents, motor vehicle accidents, natural disasters, explosions, bomb threats, downed power lines, and other emergency situations: responds to instructions from dispatcher and contacts appropriate related agencies as needed. Provides protection of life and property: suppresses, controls and extinguishes fires; performs search, rescue, extrication of victims, and forcible entries; assists individuals from burning structures; establishes openings in buildings for entrance, ventilation, or salvage; ventilates smoke and gas from buildings; performs salvage operations such as throwing salvage covers, sweeping water, and removing debris; assists with cleanup activities; and exercises control of emergency situations until relieved by a superior officer.
- Responds to a variety of emergency calls requiring the administration of basic first aid and medical treatment.
- Maintains a state of readiness and preparation for emergency response: checks and maintains stock of equipment and supplies on fire vehicles and in fire station; reloads equipment and apparatus following response to emergency calls; assists in preparing apparatus for subsequent emergencies and in testing personal equipment, hoses and pumps, and other tools and apparatus; and ensures the emergency medical service equipment is properly stocked and operational.
- Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge and awareness of applicable regulations, policies and procedures: maintains and awareness of new equipment, procedures, trends and advances in the profession; participates in physical fitness training, training drills and other continuing education activities; and attends shift meetings, workshops and seminars as appropriate.
- Performs general maintenance tasks necessary to keep vehicles, buildings, quarters, apparatus, equipment and tools in operable condition: inspects and tests equipment; replaces fluids and greases equipment; replaces parts; washes and cleans equipment, cleans quarters, and performs grounds maintenance; monitors equipment operations to maintain efficiency and safety; and reports faulty equipment for necessary maintenance work.
- Perform other duties of a similar nature or level.
Age: Must be at least 18 years of age.
Medical: Must meet the medical requirements set forth in NFPA 1582
Agility Test: Must successfully complete the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
- Considerable knowledge of firefighting and rescue techniques, apparatus and equipment, hydraulics, and hazardous materials.
- Familiarity with local, state, and federal fire codes, NFPA guidelines, departmental and County rules, regulations, policies, and procedures, and local geography, streets, buildings, and fire hydrant locations.
- Proficiency in building construction and basic mechanics, recognizing potential fire hazards, and interpersonal relations.
- Mastery of first aid and CPR.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Strong supervisory skills
- Strong people skills
- Possession of a valid driver's license with good driving history. If State license is other than Georgia or South Carolina, applicant must obtain a license in Georgia or South Carolina within 30 days of employment.
- Possess or have ability to obtain a valid state operator/driver's license for the type vehicle or equipment operated (EVOC).
- Must successfully complete the Augusta Fire Department firefighter recruit training program within four (4) months of beginning program, which includes the ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Georgia Firefighter Standards and Training Act.
- Must be able to obtain Emergency Medical Technician certification within 12 months of being hired.
- Must obtain Class E or F driver's license within twelve months of completing Augusta Fire Department recruit training program and being assigned to a company or twelve (12) months of turning age twenty-one (21).
- Data Utilization: Requires the ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize, and/or analyze data. Includes exercising discretion in determining data classification, and in referencing such analysis to established standards for the purpose of recognizing actual or probable interactive effects and relationships.
- Human Interaction: Requires the ability to work with and apply principles of persuasion and/or influence over others to coordinate programs or activities of a project, and resolve typical problems associated with the responsibilities of the job.
- Equipment: Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Verbal: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference and descriptive data and information.
- Math: Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; the ability to calculate decimals and percentages; the ability to utilize principles of fractions; and the ability to interpret graphs.
- Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of rational systems; to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form; and to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives.
- Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving the evaluation of information against sensory, judgmental, or subjective criteria, as opposed to that which is clearly measurable or verifiable.
- Physical Abilities: Tasks require the ability to exert heavy physical effort in heavy work, with greater emphasis on climbing and balancing, but typically also involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50 pounds); may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials. Possess or have the ability to meet current fitness requirements set forth by NFPA 1582 and the ability to pass the Georgia Certified Firefighters Physical Agilities Test within seven minutes or less.
- Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, odor, depth, texture, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
- Environmental Factors: Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, fumes, smoke, temperature and noise extremes, hazardous materials, fire, unsafe structures, heights, confined spaces, traffic hazards, bright and dim lights, toxic agents, animal and wildlife attacks, animal and human bites, explosives, or rude and irate customers.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.
Apply on company website