POSITION OVERVIEW Applications Accepted From: All Persons Interested
Posting Number: 20497
Workdays & Hours: Various, including weekends.*
*Subject To Change*
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
BARC Animal Shelter and Adoptions is Houston's municipal animal shelter and adoption center. Our mission is to promote and protect public health and animal care through sheltering, pet placement programs, pet ownership education and animal law enforcement. To put it simply, every member of BARC's 130 person team is entirely focused on placing incoming animals into perfect forever homes. We treat each dog and cat as if it were our own.
As Houston's municipal animal shelter, we are required by law to accept any animal that comes through our doors regardless of behavior or condition. Each year, more than 26,000 dogs and cats enter our shelter; it is not uncommon to take in 150 animals in a single day. This "open admission" requirement sets us apart from private shelters in Houston and across the state.
About the position
BARC staff veterinarians play an integral part in achieving BARC's mission. As the go-to expert on all things pet health related, staff veterinarians assess the health of each incoming animal, provide medical expertise through the shelter's pet wellness clinics, provide guidance to customers, and complete thousands of spay/neuter surgeries every year. Most importantly, our staff veterinarians have a deep seeded passion to improve the lives of Houston's homeless animals by providing an extremely high standard of care for every animal that comes through our doors. These individuals operate not only as veterinary experts, but they also lead efforts to maintain a positive, "never give up" attitude that filters through each section of the shelter. A BARC staff veterinarian's most important operational role is to have the capability to complete a minimum 25-30 of spay/neuter surgeries each day.
Administers comprehensive animal health programs encompassing a broad range of animal classes and species.
- Arrives at work with a positive attitude and a drive to achieve BARC's mission
- Completes at least 25 - 30 spay/neuter surgeries each day
- Sees patients in pet foster clinic during clinic hours; provides pet consultations and prescribes appropriate medications
- Feels comfortable in public facing environment; answers questions and provides guidance to customers
- Examines animals and identifies potential ailments such as injuries, health conditions and behavior issues
- Is a flexible team player that is willing to step into various roles when a need arises
- Has the ability and desire to perform other surgeries such as amputations and cherry eyes
- Responds immediately to impounded animals that are seriously sick or injured
- Operates large medical equipment
- Euthanizes animals in accordance with state laws, city ordinances and BARC policy
- Participates in animal cruelty and neglect investigations by providing detailed medical evaluations, completing necropsies and testifying in court
- Has excellent computer and communication skills
- Other duties as assigned
There's a chance you may be ideal for the position if:
- You like to be a part of an ever-improving organization where there is constant hustle and bustle
- You are proud of your accomplishments but you are always looking for opportunities to learn new and better ways to do things
- You're obsessed with improving already-great programs; it's just who you are
- You like to laugh and have a good time but you take your job seriously and you're ready to work hard each day
- The last time you got great customer service at a business, you wrote an online review singing their praises... Customer service is a BIG deal to you!
- Details, details, details. That should be your middle name! You like to see the big picture, but you believe that a compilation of all of the wonderful details is what makes that big picture work.
- You love lots of human interaction, but you have a true passion for helping shelters animals achieve good health and ultimately get into a forever home. No matter what it takes, you want BARC to achieve its mission and you're willing to work really hard to make it happen.
There are frequent exposures to extreme levels of temperature, air pollution, noise pollution, chemical gases and substances, and/or contagious diseases or physical trauma conditions of a short-term disabling nature, such as broken bones or temporary loss of sight or hearing. MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Doctoral Degree in Veterinary Medicine and a license to practice Veterinary Medicine in the State of Texas.
One year of professional veterinary experience is required.
Must be licensed to practice Veterinarian Medicine in the State of Texas.
A valid Texas Driver License and compliance with the City of Houston's policy on driving (AP 2-2).
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**GENERAL INFORMATION
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
None; however, the Department may administer a skills assessment test.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION YES
This position is subject to random drug testing if a promotional position; candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 28
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov. To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call 832/393-7238.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information. If you need special services or accommodations, please call TTY 7-1-1.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Apply on company website