At the City of Plano, our values make us who we are and guide us as we SERVE our city. As members of Team Plano, our organizational Values (what is most important to us) make up the acronym, SERVE (Stewardship Engaged Respectful Visionary Excellence).
Summary of Duties:Under close supervision the Library Services Representative I provides support to the library staff and patrons. Performs circulation, customer service, and shelving activities.
Distinguishing Characteristics: This is the entry-level classification in the Library Services Representative series. The incumbent follows routine procedures and guidelines in the application of prescribed duties and works under close supervision with work frequently reviewed by a superior. This classification is distinguished from the Library Services Representative II in that the latter performs more complex technical duties requiring a higher level of knowledge and skill.
Examples of ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Assists and instructs the library's patrons in the use of library technology to include self-service check-in, check-out, and fine payment system.
- Checks out and in library books and materials; replaces materials back on shelves in correct order; maintains shelf order of library materials.
- Processes patron's library card applications and holds.
- Collects and records fine and fee payments according to City and library policies and procedures.
- Assists in answering basic technical and directional questions under the supervision of a librarian.
- Maintains and monitors public computer equipment; assists patrons in use of equipment.
- Responds to patron inquiries received via telephone or in person using exceptional customer service skills; assists patrons with locating materials.
- May participate in the Libraries' online presence on blogs and social media.
- May assist with library classes and programs.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work schedule is essential.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Typical Decisions: The incumbent must use discretion in supporting the policies and procedures of the City and the library.
Knowledge of: Library functions and procedures; library cataloging systems; social media and blogging; standard office and presentation software; customer service etiquette.
Skill in: Communicating clearly both verbally and in writing; working with the public
Education: High school diploma or GED equivalent.
Experience: Some previous customer service experience preferred.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements
Licenses and Certifications: None.
Conditions of Employment: Must pass a drug test, criminal history background check, periodic CJIS background check (for positions requiring access into Police buildings) and social security number verification check.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions: Work is performed throughout the library with standing in work areas and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. Positions in this classification regularly bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees are required to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 30 pounds, or heavier with the use of proper equipment.
Employees work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and some exposure to dust/mites Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required. The position also requires meeting the essential requirements of the Physical Demands and Working Conditions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE/M/F/V/D
Open positions are subject to close without notice.
Apply on company website