At the City of Plano, our values make us who we are and guide us as we SERVE our city. As members of Team Plano, our organizational Values (what is most important to us) make up the acronym, SERVE (Stewardship Engaged Respectful Visionary Excellence).
Summary of Duties:Under close supervision, the Public Works Maintenance Worker performs light to heavy manual labor to repair and maintain City of Plano infrastructure within streets, alleys, easements and Rights of Way.
Examples of ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of this position and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Assists preparing work areas; and securing job sites by setting up traffic control devices such as cones, barricades and advance warning signs.
- Prepares tools, materials, and equipment necessary for daily tasks; cleans and maintains tools, equipment, and trucks.
- Repairs and maintains City infrastructure in relation to assigned division as follows:
- Pumping Facilities Division – responsible for water and wastewater pumping and storage systems
- Streets and Drainage Division responsible for streets, alleys and storm drainage
- Traffic Division – responsible for signs, traffic markings and signals
- Utility Operations Division – responsible for water distribution and wastewater collection systems
- Operates various equipment to include tandem dump truck, roller, forklift, centrifugal trash pumps, vibratory compactor, mud jack machine, crack sealer, jackhammer, mortar mixer, weed-eaters, chain saws, grinder, shovel, and related power and hand tools.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work schedule is essential.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Typical Decisions: The incumbent is responsible for inspecting assigned equipment, identifying potential safety hazards and the use of safe work methods and safety equipment.
Knowledge of: Safety practices and procedures; proper and efficient use of hand and power tools; methods of tool and equipment maintenance; traffic control and barricade placement.
Skill in: Communicating clearly both verbally and in writing; operating light equipment; performing routine construction and repair work; completing basic mathematical calculations and measurements.
Education: High school diploma or GED equivalent preferred.
Experience: One (1) year of previous maintenance or construction experience preferred.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
Licenses and Certifications: Must have a validTexas Class “B” Commercial driver's within 6 months of employment.
Conditions of Employment: Must pass a drug test, driver license check, criminal history background check, periodic CJIS background check (for positions requiring access into Police buildings) and social security number verification check.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions: Must possess mobility to work in and around City buildings, streets, and facilities, to operate a motor vehicle and drive on surface streets; strength, stamina, and mobility to perform physical work, to work in confined spaces and around machines, and to operate varied hand tools, power tools, and equipment; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone or radio. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate above-mentioned tools and equipment. Positions in this classification bend, stoop, kneel, and reach when completing maintenance and repairs. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 75 pounds, or heavier weights with the use of proper equipment.
Employees work in and around buildings and facilities and are exposed to loud noise levels, dust, cold and hot temperatures, inclement weather conditions, road hazards, vibration, mechanical, chemical, and electrical hazards, and hazardous physical substances and fumes. Public Works employees are considered essential personnel and may be required to pull stand-by duty and/or work extended hours, holidays and weekends assisting with workloads of assigned division or assisting other departments.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required. The position also requires meeting the essential requirements of the Physical Demands and Working Conditions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE/M/F/V/D
Open positions are subject to close without notice.
Apply on company website