At the City of Plano, our values make us who we are and guide us as we SERVE our city. As members of Team Plano, our organizational Values (what is most important to us) make up the acronym, SERVE (Stewardship Engaged Respectful Visionary Excellence).
Summary of Duties: School Crossing Guards are responsible for the safety of pedestrian students and traffic control in designated crosswalks under the specific training and direction of their designated supervisor and Program Manager.
Examples of ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Maintains an alert presence for pedestrian children and considers traffic flow.
- Determines appropriate intervals for creating gaps in traffic to provide children safe passage.
- Develops and maintains a rapport with their pedestrian customers and school administrators.
- Manages communication and availability to complete annual City-mandated employee training.
- Accepts changes in both temporary and permanent assignments as needs of the business require (with or without notice).
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work schedule is essential.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Typical Decisions: Exercises good judgment as to when to enter traffic while facilitating the safe passage of pedestrian students.
Knowledge of: Position requires a working knowledge of school crossing guard program policies and procedures.
- Physically capable of standing and walking for times of moderate duration.
- Ability to communicate effectively with leadership, students and adults.
- Capable of working closely with school-age children.
- Resilient to outdoor working conditions in all types of weather conditions.
Education: A high school diploma or its equivalent is required.
Experience: Candidates must be 18 years of age. No prior experience is required. All training will be provided.
Any equivalent work-related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
Licenses and Certifications: None.
Conditions of Employment: Candidates must pass a drug test, criminal history and background investigation to include a Social Security verification and a Driver's License check.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions: Employees are required to lift, carry and hold, above their heads, apparatus weighing up to 2 pounds. It is required that employees stand/walk on potentially uneven and/or slippery surfaces for up to an hour per assigned shift.
Work in the field exposes employees to rain, heat and freezing conditions. The workplace may include traffic hazards, construction, constant noise and hazardous fumes. Exposure to dissatisfied motorists and the possibility of motorists' abusive language are considerations while enforcing the department's policies and procedures.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required. The position also requires meeting the essential requirements of the Physical Demands and Working Conditions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE/M/F/V/D
Open positions are subject to close without notice.
Apply on company website