Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
At Houston Methodist, the Major Gift Officer position is responsible for accelerated targets to help build the major gifts pipeline through the active management and development of potential major gift donors. Cultivates relationships with high capacity donors for Foundation programs, such as The Society, various service lines and hospital initiatives. Primary focus will be on qualifying high net worth prospective donors in order to achieve and sustain annual philanthropic support targets to Houston Methodist. Oversees and leads fundraising initiatives for a Center of Excellence (COE) and system-wide service lines. Partners with key executive leadership and physicians to achieve goals. Responsible for strategic management and negotiation for various disciplines and case development. Leads volunteer task forces and/or councils. Develops compelling cases for support for COEs. Creates and manages volunteer task forces and councils. Creates and populates high-profile events.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Maintains a portfolio of high-level prospective contributors to HM, including individuals, foundations and corporations as defined by Houston Methodist.. (EF)
2. Identifies, cultivates, solicits and stewards contributors and prospective contributors for major gifts in all ranges. (EF)
3. Coordinates and partners with the Volunteer Relations and Special Events. departments to support strategic enlistment and use of councils, volunteers and events for HM and assists with events that support key volunteer and donor pipeline development. (EF)
4. Interfaces with Development Communications & Donor Marketing to support strategic donor communications and information distribution to contributors and potential contributors. Collaborates on the development of fundraising materials and naming opportunities to use in the solicitation process. (EF)
5. Interacts with appropriate Foundation staff to facilitate preparation of grant proposals, acknowledgement letters, gift agreements, solicitation materials and stewardship reports for contributors in portfolio. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
1. Independently partners with physician leaders and operational executives throughout the organization to achieve defined goals (EF)
2. Serves as the liaison to designated Centers of Excellence, service lines or other key programs within the system at the direction of Foundation leadership. Actively engages stakeholders in the development and achievement of strategic initiatives. Mentors and serves as a role model for more junior development officers. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 10%
1. Ensures ethical compliance, as defined by the Association of Fundraising Professionals and all Foundation and Houston Methodist gift-related and administrative policies. Follows Business Practice standards for Fundraising performance. (EF)
2. Documents results of all substantive contacts with donors for team lead review and critique, and maintain documentation on a timely basis to be input by closing of each respective month, including contact reports, outlining donor strategies, proposal development and submissions per month. (EF)
FINANCE - 30%
1. Achieves minimum agreed upon annual fundraising targets in dollars raised, contacts and solicitations. (EF)
2. Manages time effectively to meets established goals, adjusting to competing priorities and shifting business needs. Drives timelines for solicitation and reporting. Achieves or exceeds target proposal success rate. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
1. Develops and maintains relationships inside and outside of the organization that enhance the organization¿s ability to integrate donors and potential donors into the community. (EF)
2. Develops and executes innovative strategies for obtaining high level major gift donations and donor recognition and stewardship. (EF)
3. Collaborates with physicians and Development Communication staff in crafting effective proposals to support and grow major gifts and annual giving programs as appropriate.
4. Proactively manages own professional development.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelors degree
o Eight years experience in institutional advancement, preferably in a complex health care institution, and direct fundraising experience.
o Three years of direct fundraising experience as a major gift officer at Houston Methodist may qualify candidate. Extensive major gifts fundraising experience as defined by Houston Methodist preferred.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Proven ability to solicit and secure major gifts as defined by department goals
o Ability to work effectively with physician leaders and operational executives throughout the organization
o Ability to lead meetings, conversations and present with authority
o Demonstrated initiative in managing projects and communication with stakeholders
o Effective and influential oral and written communications and presentation skills when working with physician leadership, administrators and peers
o Proven ability to interact professionally with prospective donors
o Ability to cultivate new and lasting relationships
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation's leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of 7 hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and six community hospitals throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area. HM also includes a research institute, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, HM employs over 20,000 employees. FORBES magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of Best Employers in 2016. Houston Methodist is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment.
Apply on company website