We Are Inspired to Serve. Join us! Part of a nation wide family of Continuing Care Retirement Communities is seeking a Maintenance Staff member. The purpose of this position is to help Maintenance Technicians, Skilled and Basic, assure that campus buildings and grounds are well maintained and that all machinery and equipment are kept in good and safe operating condition consistent with Covenant Retirement Communities policies and procedures and according to established local, State and Federal regulations.
This position reports directly to the Facilities Supervisor. This position functions as a member of the maintenance team. It is labor in nature. In performance of duties, the Maintenance Technician is entrusted with the following responsibilities:
In this role, the Maintenance Staff member will:
- Complete written work request. Accounting for time, materials and cost.
Repair specialized equipment and facilities such as but not limited to basic HVAC, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, appliance repair, routine motor vehicle maintenance etc. This work will be done in accordance with acceptable trade and industry standards and procedures.
- Complete preventative maintenance procedures on specialized equipment such as but not limited to, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, mechanical and telecommunications systems.
- Attends orientation and in-service as required by State and Federal mandates. Participates in departmental meetings.
- Ensure that equipment and work areas are clean, safe and orderly.
- Promptly addresses any hazardous conditions or equipment.
- Assist with grounds maintenance, snow and ice removal operations.
- Remove trash and recyclables to designated pick up areas on an as needed basis.
- Identify electrical and plumbing problems, coming up with a solution, purchase appropriate supplies, make the repairs and/or modifications as needed.
- Responsible for training other maintenance personnel in departmental procedures. Participates in departmental orientation and training of new employees.
- Respond to emergency situations and take proper corrective action. Call service and warranty personnel when corrective action needed is beyond department's capabilities.
- Assist Facilities Supervisor with overall coordination of Maintenance Department.
- Fill in if needed in the area of driving.
- Must be available for emergencies and on-call duties as scheduled.
CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPECTATIONS
Covenant Village of Cromwell esteems our residents and employees and values each as members of our community. Residents as well as co-workers are considered to be customers. It is a duty of each employee regardless of position to perform to a level of customer service relative to his/her position.
The customer service expectations for this position are as follows:
- Ensures their tasks relating to preparing the apartment for move in are complete, accurate and finished with in the time frame established.
- Ensures all work orders are completed accurately and verifies working order of any repairs.
- Responds to requests and complaints from residents and staff courteously, honestly and in a professional manner.
- This position follows all safety guidelines.
- This position reports residents' change of health (physical or mental) to the FM supervisor and/or Wellness Clinic Nurse.
- This position will maintain complete confidentiality.
- Ensures resident apartment is safe, clean and in good working order at the completion of a work order.
- Maintains work areas that are presentable, professional, well-organized, safe and in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Exemplifies campus dress code.
- Responds to maintenance issues and emergency situations with a positive attitude to minimize discomfort and worry to the resident.
- Learns resident's names and addresses them by preferred name. Listens attentively to resident when voicing concerns and tries to assist in every possible way.
- Always treats resident requests with respect rather than as a disruption to daily work.
- Follows up with resident and supervisor if work order cannot be completed in one visit or the time frame requested.
In performance of duties, this position uses & oversees mechanical hand tools, plumbing hand tools, electrical hand tools, carpentry hand tools, electrical testing equipment, power tools, vacuum cleaner, dust mop, bucket & wringer and similar equipment. This position also requires the use of a phone and two-way radio for intercampus communication.
WORK VARIABLES AND CONDITIONS
This position requires standing, bending or walking most of the day inside and outdoors throughout the campus. Proper use of power tools, equipment and ladders, frequent lifting of medium objects up to 50 lbs, and occasional carrying of heavy materials (up to 75 lbs.). There is limited exposure to extreme temperatures. The employee must have the ability to operate company owned motorized vehicles including an automobile, bus, light truck and golf cart.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Must have a high school diploma or the equivalent. Specialized advanced training in one of the following: HVAC, electrical, painting & plumbing, telecommunication.
- Minimum two years experience in a variety of maintenance related fields. Experience in a retirement community preferred.
- Must have the ability to function independently and use sound judgement.
- Current Connecticut Driver's License required.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
For full time employees, we offer a generous benefits package that includes:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Employer paid group term life and disability
- Paid Time Off (PTO) & six paid holidays
- 403(b) with a 3% employer match
- Various voluntary benefits:
- Life, AD&D
- Tuition assistance and scholarships
- Employee assistance program
- Legal services, home/auto insurance, discount purchasing program
- Pet Insurance
- Fitness center use at most facilities.
Covenant Retirement Communities and CovenantCare at Home are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.
Apply on company website