Under the leadership of theManager, Clinical Laboratory, the Medical Technologist isan active member of the department that provides pathology and laboratory studies and analysis for the medical and nursing staff. The Medical Technologist performs a variety of clinical laboratory tests. The Technologist oversees or conducts the procurement, receipt and preparation of samples and specimen materials. The Technologist classifies cells according to laboratory standards and records and reports test results. This position ensures that all equipment is properly functioning and that quality safeguards are in place.
- Licensure, Registrations & Certifications:
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Conducts a variety of clinical laboratory tests in an assigned laboratory section.
- Ensures that established standards, practices, policies and procedures are followed and that laboratory samples and specimen materials are prepared, screened, classified and reported accurately and efficiently.
- Oversees and/or conducts the procurement, receipt and preparation of samples and specimen materials for examination.
- Prepares chemical reagents and stains slides according to established procedures. Mounts specimens and screens for evidence of carcinoma, pathological abnormalities or diseases.
- Classifies cells according to laboratory standards.
- Collects and prepares test data used to validate procedures, modifications and established normal values.
- Maintains accurate and complete laboratory records in accordance with Laboratory policies and procedures and regulatory agency requirements.
- Records and reports test results, inputting test outcomes into the computer system and contacts physicians and patient care staff to report critical or "stat" results.
- Assists in coordinating the Quality Assurance program that monitors area activities in order to ensure the appropriateness, timeliness and cost effectiveness of Laboratory services provided. Maintains a comprehensive quality control program to include instrument maintenance, safety procedures, and preventative maintenance of instrumentation. Ensures all areas are maintained in a clean, orderly and safe condition. Maintains inventory levels of laboratory supplies, prepares solutions and reagents.
- Assists in the ongoing evaluation of laboratory procedures by gathering data and comparing results between existing and potential procedures.
- Assists in updating the laboratory section service area policy and procedure manual. Recommends and implements new technical procedures and practices to ensure accurate and efficient departmental operation.
- Provides orientation and instruction to new employees in proper laboratory techniques and procedures.
- May be required to cover any shift to maintain adequate coverage.
- Ensures that all safety and infection control policies and practices are observed.
- Serves on Laboratory committees, as appropriate and as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Standards of Performance:
- Maintains and calibrates laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Classifies slides, records classification and presents slides with unusual cell structures.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of procedures and interpretations of all federal, state and JCAHO laws and regulations.
- Ensures that all safety and infection control policies and practices are observed as measured by feedback and observation from the laboratory, medical and management staff.
- Demonstrates reliability as measured by compliance with the CRHS Time and Attendance policy.
- Demonstrates professional conduct and adherence to all safety, confidentiality, and HIPAA standards.
- Promotes teamwork with the entire staff as well as other contacts within the department, as measured by observations of manager and co-workers.
Apply on company website