Aetna's mandate is to transform health and wellness via products that enable consumer engagement and a best-in-class experience. This team is responsible for Aetna's digital strategy and all digital products; as well as the development roadmap and execution of the roadmap. A key part of this team is to build an integrated platform and underlying products to drive engagement and revolutionize health and wellness. Aetna is taking on a major initiative to redesign and rebuild many of its customer facing digital assets. This effort will include a completely new approach to developing software within Aetna, using the latest design approaches, technologies, and processes. Aetna Digital is a newly formed startup like business unit within Aetna, which will design, build and deliver a completely new and integrated digital experience for our users. Come Join Aetna Digital! Aetna Digital is looking for a Senior Software Architect who will interface with several disciplines within various business units within Aetna including UI, PM, Partners, Engineering, etc. towards the creation of a unified customer facing experience..
Role and Responsibilities
- Serve as technical architecture expert for a scrum team, helping to ensure successful product deliveries
- Provide guidance to developers and other stakeholders regarding the design of server applications, encompassing APIs and micro-services, containers, databases, cloud infrastructures, and cloud services
- Manage the evolution of architectural roadmaps for your domain, showing how new features are released or updated, with an eye on paying down technical debt with minimal disruption
- Ensure all Non-Functional Requirements (e.g. performance, availability and fail-over, scalability, security, etc.) are properly articulated, and work with all parties to guarantee that the software products that are delivered meet these objectives
- Partner with key stakeholders to establish and adopt architectural best practices, guidelines, and standards. Evangelize, mentor, and coach all on the same.
- Lead Proof-Of-Concepts and Spike Solutions, and provide Reference Architectures and Baseline Implementations when appropriate
- Drive buy vs build evaluations, including consideration of OSS
- Participates in high-level estimation
- 10+ years as a software developer/architect. Experience and proficiency with modern languages, frameworks, and technologies such as Java, Python, Node.js, messaging queuing infrastructures, as well as AWS or GCP cloud infrastructure and services
- Experience with the design and development of complex systems; employs a disciplined and rigorous approach
- Adept at requirements analysis, estimation, systems and application design, and testing
- Experience designing RESTful APIs that facilitate a superior UX or simplify systems integration.
- Familiarity with popular Design Patterns catalogues
- Experience with RDBMS and/or NoSQL databases. Understands the benefits and trade-offs of both. Familiar with normalization and denormalization, sharding, and other data-centric patterns
- Experience with distributed computing architectures, including race conditions, parallelism, and concurrency control
- Excellent collaboration, influencing, evangelization, negotiation, coaching, mentoring, and coalition-building skills. Ability to work with persons in all job functions (e.g. Product, UX, developers, QA, DevOps).
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities with minimal supervision. Self-directed
- A great team player, with demonstrable experience delivering superior software products via Agile methodologies
- Experience on an Agile team
- A proven track record working as part of a team on large architectural projects
- Experience with micro-services
- Experience architecting solutions for AWS or Google clouds
- Experience with distributed caching solutions; understands the factors that enable effective caching
- Exposure to Big-Data and/or Machine Learning
- Exposure to CI/CD and DevOps
- Experience with SAFe Software Development Principles
- Meeting facilitation
Additional Job Information
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION Dollar-for-dollar match up-to 6% of your 401(k) contributions! Health care (HSA/FSA), dental, vision benefits, PTO Gym / Showers A top of the line MacBook Pro Sit/stand desk Free Parking (Burlington, MA office) Aetna-sponsored refreshments, Friday lunches, etc. $200/yr towards wellness - gym membership, fitbit, treadmill Up-to 5K a year toward tuition reimbursement
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
Percent of Travel Required
0 - 10%
Aetna is about more than just doing a job. This is our opportunity to re-shape healthcare for America and across the globe. We are developing solutions to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare. What we do will benefit generations to come.
We care about each other, our customers and our communities. We are inspired to make a difference, and we are committed to integrity and excellence.
Together we will empower people to live healthier lives.
Aetna is an equal opportunity & affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of personal characteristics or status. We take affirmative action to recruit, select and develop women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
We are a company built on excellence. We have a culture that values growth, achievement and diversity and a workplace where your voice can be heard.
Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Click here to review the benefits associated with this position.
Apply on company website